Temp gauge reading too low (FIXED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp gauge reading too low (FIXED)

I know this topic was discussed recently so I thought I would share this.

I've had trouble with the temperature gauge reading on the cold side ever since I got the my 90 l plus. I had been trying to figure it out for a long time. I checked and rechecked all the connections. I had the cluster out one time to work on the speedo cable and did notice then the the needle seemed free. Well I set out today to figure it out once and for all. I had the cluster out again to fix the speedo right this time. I used white lithium grease last time. Wrong! Gummed up. Graphite is the way to go.

Anyway back to the gauge. With the cluster out and the cover off I check that the needle was free. I applied 12v to the fuel gauge. Needle goes up. Tried the temp guage. 12v, needle goes up! Good so its not the gauge. Put the cover on, hook it all up. I took it for a drive, warmed up good.... Notta on the temp reading. Needless to say I've become quite deft at cluster removal in installation. So after a nice big bowl of chili and cornbread I took it out again. Apply 12 volts.. Notta. WTH.. I took the cover off, the needle was free. Applied voltage... works. Here is a pic of the problem.

The cover rests on the needle! The fuel needle is reeaaally close, but clears. Now I thoroughly looked this thing over and there is no way I could see to get the gauge away from the cover. Everything seems assembled correctly and tight. The guts are in right. No adjusting after all as the cover just snaps on. The needle is fully down on the peg. I ended up using my dremel tool and ground down the tab that covers the base of the needle. I didn't grind it off, I made the tab thinner to allow it to clear. What an ordeal, but its nice to know what is going on with the temp finally. It now reads midway between C and H like it should.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Good info. Thanks for the post! I would have probably given up and got a new cluster...
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Tenacity triumphs once again! Nice work troubleshooting an obtuse problem.

Just goes to show that there a lots of idiosyncrasies of these little cars.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
      In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

mine sticks on my cluster too. Thought it was what David said....just never looked closely at it. When I would fill up and hit the reset on the tripometer....the needle would jump up to where it belongs.....lol. I would sometimes smash my hand down on top of the cluster while driving and it would make the needle jump to where it belonged.
        Will have to see about the complete fix....thanks for the info.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

this might be a little off topic but mine never goes higher than like 1/8 over. Hard to explian but the guage shows white block-guage range-red block...mine never goes higher than right where the guage range starts

Is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Nickb1907 View Post
            this might be a little off topic but mine never goes higher than like 1/8 over. Hard to explian but the guage shows white block-guage range-red block...mine never goes higher than right where the guage range starts

Is that normal?
            Well the cars are tough to get hot anyway and depending on the thermostat in it....that may be the right reading.
            Do you get decent heat out of it? If not could be that the thermostat is stuck open or has to low of a temp setting. But mine have always run on the cool side on the gauge. A little higher then the Cold line.
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Do you have the tach cluster? It does seem a lot of people report them running on the low side.
              Mine would move only to the white block. Sometime not at all. Now I know why, it was rubbing on the cover. Look close and see if you can tell how close the needle is to that tab that covers the base of the needle. I think the problem I had only applies to the tach cluster though. Just check that all connections are clean and tight. Are you getting good heat from the heater? I have an automatic and I new mine was hotter as the fan would run. The trans must contribute a fair amount of heat to the radiator. In fact the only time I ever heard a Festy fan run was on an automatic car. Both my L plus and LX are autos and make a lot better heat than a stick.
              Last edited by David88; 11-22-2009, 11:26 PM.
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                Do you have the tach cluster? It does seem a lot of people report them running on the low side.
                Mine would move only to the white block. Sometime not at all. Now I know why, it was rubbing on the cover. Look close and see if you can tell how close the needle is to that tab that covers the base of the needle. I think the problem I had only applies to the tach cluster though. Just check that all connections are clean and tight. Are you getting good heat from the heater? I have an automatic and I new mine was hotter as the fan would run. The trans must contribute a fair amount of heat to the radiator. In fact the only time I ever heard a Festy fan run was on an automatic car. Both my L plus and LX are autos and make a lot better heat than a stick.
                yep...tach cluster and I have had suspicions it was rubbing because of the way it would jump up when I hit the trip reset.....I think you have confirmed it for me.
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                  Well the cars are tough to get hot anyway and depending on the thermostat in it....that may be the right reading.
                  Do you get decent heat out of it? If not could be that the thermostat is stuck open or has to low of a temp setting. But mine have always run on the cool side on the gauge. A little higher then the Cold line.
                  i figured it just didnt make that much heat, but eveything seems fine.

Comment

so THIS explains why my temp gauge isn't working in my new cluster(tach one)!! THANK YOU!!
                    93 festiva aka "the sexy"
                    04 blown GT stang
                    99 wrangler (in the middle of a 5.2 swap)

Comment

Working...
                    X