Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Wheel Bearing replacement (95 Aspire, USA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
    write up is fine....it is just pics need to be resized....also...a rubber mallet will not do the trick. I was talking of a 3lb sledge or something close.
    One should be careful not to deform the end of the stud when removing it by hammering on it. I'm referring to using a steel hammer. Or you could use a brass hammer which is softer than the stud.

Usually this isn't a concern with the tie rod end b/c using a 3lb hammer the stud should pop right out on the 1st strike.

But having a paranoid streak, I like to thread a nut on the end anyways & make sure the hammer hits the nut instead of the end of the stud.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
    In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

But getting back to what Genevadirt said.... strike the tab that the tie mounts to. So you can actually avoid hitting the bolt entirely. Just hit the mounting tab.
      www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
      www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
      Snoopy's
      4621 Atlantic Ave
      Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Originally posted by sam.1956 View Post
        One should be careful not to deform the end of the stud when removing it by hammering on it. I'm referring to using a steel hammer. Or you could use a brass hammer which is softer than the stud.

Usually this isn't a concern with the tie rod end b/c using a 3lb hammer the stud should pop right out on the 1st strike.

But having a paranoid streak, I like to thread a nut on the end anyways & make sure the hammer hits the nut instead of the end of the stud.
        Originally posted by Britstiva View Post
        But getting back to what Genevadirt said.... strike the tab that the tie mounts to. So you can actually avoid hitting the bolt entirely. Just hit the mounting tab.
        Yes....you just hit the tab....but I also do what Sam mentioned just for the heck of it.

Sam...there is nothing we will be able to do that will deform that connecting end. You may need to strike it a few times....no way to get a really good swing and decent shot on it.....no way WE will hurt it. I have also , after a few strikes, given the nut a little tap up. Works like a charm every time. Sure saves the boot.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

This is a great write up with great pictures. Is there any way FF.com can host the pictures if they are not already so when this becomes a sticky the pictures never disappear?

Also the two screws that hold the rotor to the hub. There is a tool in Harbor Freight called a IMPACT Screwdriver. It will remove these screws without stripping them if they are rusted in. It works amazingly and only took like two wacks. Costs about $12 I think. Also could you tell us what that red box with all the different size spacers and hand tool is called, where we can find one, and for how much?

Comment

The red box is a Bearing Race & Seal Driver Set which I bought from Harbor Freight.
            Price shows $29.99. Item number is 95853-2VGA.

The silver cylinder is a driver handle that comes with the kit, so you can use a hammer if you don't have a bearing press.

URL of the catalog page at Harbor Freight is:
            Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
            Last edited by sam.1956; 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
            In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

I just did my front right wheel bearing on my 91 ford festiva and we never used a press. I reused the old racer as we could not get the old ones out (no press). I dont remember ever putting a spacer in between. everything goes just fine.

Comment

I want to bump this thread. I spent quite a bit of time searching and finally found this detailed thread for Aspire hub bearings replacement.
                Rick
                1993 Ford Festiva
                1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                2000 Ford E350

Comment

Why on Earth was this never stickied?
                  88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
                  92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
                  91 - Shell with title
                  92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

8/10/2017. Festiva wheel bearing post started by cfall. Post #20 I show and tell how to do this much easier and with out pulling the steering knuckle off.Not trying to be rude just trying to save everyone work.How do you link to old posts?
                    Last edited by ricko1966; 02-20-2019, 09:22 PM.
                    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

^^ Re: linking to old posts. First I did a search on "wheel bearing", then pulled up a likely thread, then copied the URL from the browser header, and am now going to paste it here, fingers crossed....

hoot, hoot.
                      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

https://fordfestiva.com/forums/forum...front-bearings. Post number 21. No special tools,no press ,no bearing and seal driver, start to finish less than an hour after you've done the first one for practice.
                        Last edited by ricko1966; 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM.
                        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                        X