No announcement yet.

need to fix spider gear prob, but- how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to fix spider gear prob, but- how?

What is it going to take to get inside this transmission? Its the stock 4-speed, and I've let the gears drop into the bottom of the differential (Thanks to my Hayes manual for not giving me a heads up on that one). The transmission is separated from the motor. I've taken the 10 or 12 bolts out of the side of the trans case, but it won't separate from the bell housing. Maybe just painted shut?
    '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

okay, I got the case open. Now I'm looking at all of those gears thinking "Oh, crap, what have I gotten myself into?". How on earth do you get to the bottom of that thing? I can't figure out (my shop manual says to take the trans to a trans shop, don't even think about doing it yourself) how to get the main and counter shafts up so that I can pull the differential out of the way and re-seat the fallen gears. links, advice, experience, anyone? Thanks,
    '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

Comment

easy answer, not an easy fix...

you have to drive out all the pins from the shift forks or work the shift rails out of the case with the forks, but that means removing the detent springs and balls.... :x
      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Great... that's what I thought. I was really hoping that I could just remove the whole thing together and not have to take forks and stuff apart. Oh well. At least its a holiday and I have all day to screw with it. I might take it to a trans shop anyway. Thanks

Comment

may be cheeper to find a junk 5 spd...
          90 L FI..second B3
          90 L Parts car
          Jay

Comment

Working...
          X