Auto trans fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto trans fluid

I'm debating the transmission fluid I want to use in my automatic. I know it calls for Mercon but for the last 4 years all I've used has been Mercon V. I don't expect any issues with Mercon V but has anybody here used it? I'll be dumping 6oz of Lubeguard red and adding a Magnefine filter at the same time. I'll be doing a line dump and won't be touching the pan unless it's leaking. BTW this is the same maintenance I do on my Escape and at 90k it shifts better now than it did at 32k even under hard use... hoping the Festiva would be the same.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Ford is now recommending it to replace most previous Mercon applications. Attached is the chart, I assume the Festiva would fall under the Mazda ATX column.

I have heard that some older applications like the E4OD can shift funny on the new MerconV, but I have also heard that a lot of the older Mercon units perform better with the new MerconV. I would try it. If it doesn't perform as well then go back to the Mercon.

BTW- I have heard a lot of good things about the Lubeguard.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

i use mobil 1 synthetic ATF with a little shot of lucus brand transmission treatment, 280 000 on er and she still works great (slips a bit as it warms up, right at about half warm, but if i stop, move the shifter into 1st, it will engage then and works perfect there after) i change it every 50 thousand K, i also have a tranny cooler installed

Comment

Originally posted by funky technician View Post
        i use mobil 1 synthetic ATF with a little shot of lucus brand transmission treatment, 280 000 on er and she still works great (slips a bit as it warms up, right at about half warm, but if i stop, move the shifter into 1st, it will engage then and works perfect there after) i change it every 50 thousand K, i also have a tranny cooler installed
        you added a second cooler?

Have you changed the filter before? Or the modulator? It should not be slipping at all.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yes, i added a 2nd cooler, mounted it in front of the rad, i tow with my car and didn't want to strain the tranny, i change the filter every 100 000 , never found any debris in it, just the usual band material on the ring magnet, ya i don't know y it slips when its warmin up like that, it only does it when its warming up too, and like i said , can be corrected by moving the shifter lever into 2nd or 1st, you'll feel a clunk as it engages, just like if you just put it into drive, and then after that, it doesn't do it again for the remainder of the trip, and it doesn't slip when its stone cold either, strange, but when its warmed up, its great! LOL

Comment

I bet if you remove the 2nd cooler you won't have problems. Some auto trans don't like being to cool. I haven't did anything with mine yet.. may not be till spring. Going to do a short flush with regular Mercon before any synthetic.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

the tranny slipped before i added the cooler

Comment

Working...
              X