Odometer/speedo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odometer/speedo question

Is it physically possible to transplant the odometer from one cluster to another? I got a tach cluster with the mileage considerably higher than what is actually on the car and would like to put in the odometer from the original cluster.

Thanks

Ian
    92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Odometers are usually designed not to be messed with. Are you worried about resale value. Finding a low mileage cluster to artificially lower your car's mileage is easy with these cars, though not very honnest...
    I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

I don't believe you can switch them because the tach set up has a resettable odometer and the other one doesn't.
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

I followed a how to post by Simon that was on the old forum. You can take them a part an adjust the odometer too match your old one. I did it on my '88L when I swapped in the tach cluster.

It was several years ago, I just remember having to be super careful not to break anything! :idea: But that's what super glue is for...
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold
        '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

You can if your careful enough. Since I know which cluster your talking about I know it can be done. The piece that holds the odometer and the trip meter has the same holder/housing as the odometer only setup. Take em apart and you see what I mean. On the tach cluster the odometer part is glued in and on the regular it isn't.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

You can switch the odometers out. At least the thing with the numbers on it.

When going from a non-tach cluster to one with a tach, the 1st digit is covered so it looks like your car has lower mileage than it actually does....

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
            X