help - crankshaft nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - crankshaft nut

i've been trying to get ghostiva running cuz driving my work truck around is killing my wallet... alternator and waterpump are off, then spilled coolant all over timing belt( yeah i drained the cock first) so i'm trying to get the crank sheath bolt off and that sucker is on there!!! its bout -20c here so thats not helping much, and my air impact does not have the torque! brakes and 4th gear too couldn't get it to budge. tried removing spark plugs and tripping the starter but the engine wont turn... not sure what needs to be reconnected for that to work but am gonna try renting an electric impact... just wondering what "cheap" safe method of heating that nut would work. i was thinking propane torch but is that safe? dont want to blow my garage sky high. have never smelt gas leak and dont have anything like a solder gun type tool. any suggestions at this point would be appreciated. :violent3: tring to find water pump kit with timing belt and tensioner as well... save a couple bucks with one lump sum. thanks guys
    Last edited by blue*93; 12-07-2009, 12:00 PM.
    light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
    light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

One long breaker bar against the ground and use the starter if possible. Just be careful if it is on jacks it can come off.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

well, got the starter trick going, broke my 3/8" converter after a dozen trys... off to buy a 1/2"- 13/16 socket and sum penetrating oil. maybe a fire extinguisher from my dad... this thing is costing me alot! good thing im learning something or i would be an idiot! thank for the jack warning Euro. i checked the tire blocks and stands and threw an extra jack in there for good measure. cheers
      Last edited by blue*93; 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM.

Comment

might buy one of those benzomatic soldering kits JGLutz mentioned in another post to heat it up... if the price is right.

Comment

got that bolt off... got another socket and picked up a long breaker bar for 12 bucks! took a number of tries but its gtg. just waiting for parts now... hopefilly be running for when my lady gets inta town... didn't even need that soldering gun. glad i didnt open the package

Comment

Heat is always kinda iffy. In that case you would want to only heat the crank. But i'm glad you got it. Now make sure and replace water pump, timing belt,tensioner, and while your there you should replace the front main seal. It will keep you from having to touch that side of the motor for a long time. Good luck and feel free to pm with any questions.
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

^^ I believe he did all that....was replacing the belt because he got anti-freeze on it...
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yeah timing belt and WP are going in... alt. too... money is pretty tight for the rest, and i remember having trouble with that seal when the motor was out! but if i can get a good deal on a timing kit i will at least do the tensioner. thanks alot for the offer. its been slow going, mostly due to parts issues. cheers

Comment

if you do the front main dont forget the oil pump gasket too. lol, and then and then and then....

Comment

yeah best price i could find on the tensioner was $90 bucks... w/o the belt! i will be putting the best used one i got on for now, otherwise i will be pushing it to work!

Comment

Working...
                    X