Cleaning out B6 FI rail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning out B6 FI rail?

Well, there's more "nesting" evidence inside my fuel lines (the stubs left after they were cut when removing my B6 from its doner car) and even the input fuel hard line, on possibly into the rail itself. Grass and little twigs and maybe "spider stuff." No little dead bodies, though.

I disconnected the small (maybe 5" long) rubber fuel line between the rail hard line and the end of the rail. I sprayed some carb cleaner into that and watched as the cleaner slowly seeped out of the end of the fuel line where it meets the main fuel hose (which I pulled off). When I left I had some more carb cleaner soaking in it.

A lot of specs of dirt came out, and it seemed to be getting a little better. However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to clean out the hard fuel return line from the rail.

There's a "top hat" looking thingy at the pulley side end of the fuel rail which comes off (and probably needs a gasket to be put back on). I could take that off and saturate the fuel rail with carb cleaner in an attempt to blow everything out.

Would that hurt my injectors or anything else?

The only alternative I see is to take off my fuel rail or even the entire intake manifold to get cleaned out.

Can the fuel rail alone be taken off the manifold?

I now know what else to check upon buying a new engine! (It looked like the fuel lines had been blocked off, but I guess not!)

Pull off the fuel lines and CHECK FOR NESTS and other crap!!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

the tophat looking thingy should be your fuel pressure regulator. Yes, you can remove it, and its usually sealed with a reusable oring. Also you can remove just the fuel rail to facilitate cleaning. Honestly, go to a machine shop, Harbor Freight (if you have one), or a good auto supply store, and buy some long egine oil galley cleaning brushes. The look like big pipe cleaners or small bottle brushes with very long (2-3ft) handles. Spray carb clean in the tubes, run the brush through, and blow out w/ compressed air.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Gotcha Jim!

Next thing ya know I'll be finding crushed eggshells in my crankcase.

Thanks,

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
      X