Rack Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Installation

I'm putting in a rack this weekend. First time I've done a rack, anyone have any advice? One of my concerns right now is I'm not exactly sure of the orientation of the steering gear that I'm putting the car. Is there a good way to check that the rack is in the same position as the steering wheel? Also, when taking out the bad rack, should it be centered, all the way right, left etc? thanks. 93GL
    1993 Festiva GL
    new fuel pump
    97 B3 swapped in by Eurotiva

What I have done is remove the drivers seat, mark the joint where the bolt is easiest to get to it's removal, move the steering column out of the way. That finishes the work above. Next, get the car up on stands, remove the wheels and cat, loosen the zip tie on the joint boot, and the splash shields on both sides. Then I disconnect the tie rod ends, and the mounting fastners. Slide the rack to the passenger side far enough to gain the clearance you need to slide the assembly out and down to the drivers side.
    I wish I could tell you it is a snap, but you will find the fastners usually a pain to get loose, and you will likely use some penetrating oil, and sometimes a nut cracker or cold chisel helps rather than ruining studs on the cat and such. A basic set of tap and dies helps the reassembly go better too, and don't get discouraged getting the column lined back up to the splines on the joint. It will go back with patience.

HTH
    Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

One more thing... the rack joint is keyed so it will go back to basically the same location at the column. Remenber to mark the joint. Getting the tie rod ends equall distance by counting installation turns equally will get you back in the ball park steering wheel wise. I count the turns on the old ends ( if you can get them loose, that is) and do the same # turns on the new ends to get close. Then you have to measure the toe front and back of the tires when you reinstall them to get the adjustment. I have had good luck using 1/4 " toe in myself with all the front end parts new and tight.
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Working...
      X