Tranny howl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny howl

When my car's in gear, there is a howling sound that increases with engine speed. It does not do this when the clutch is in or when the car is moving in neutral. It does it in first, second, and third. There is so much ambient noise in 4th and 5th that I can't tell, but I would guess that it does. Clutch? Gears? Fluid? What should I try to change first?
    GT

The first junkyard 5 speed I had put in the Mutt whined like it thought it was a supercharger.

A few days later it ate itself up on the freeway!

So is it a "howl" or a "whine?"

If it's the latter keep a bike in your car, or at least a cell phone.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Like a supercharger, yeah that's the sound I'm talking about. I can't change the fluid because the fill port bolt recently lost its head. Is there anything I can do to preserve this tranny? It's been getting continually louder over the past few days. I need to make a trip back to Tucson at the end of the weekend, and I can't afford to have this thing towed 90 miles and put into the shop.
      GT

Comment

FILL BOLT???????????????????????????????????????

what is a fill bolt??????

you fill and check the fluid with the speedometer gear housing
        the housing is a dipstick and the hole is where you fill the trans.

and ask dan dan the oil man (darkdan) what he would use for fluid.

Comment

I used synthetic ATX fluid.

Shifting is smooth as silk and 2nd doesn't grind any more.

Maybe it could work some magic on your tranny.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Mechanical DJ: By fill bolt I'm talking about the 10mm bolt that holds the housing for the speedo cable in place. I was putting it back on, and it had become so brittle due to time and corrosion that the head snapped right off while I was putting it back in. From what I can tell, the cable can't be removed unless you also remove the housing. The bolt is broken flush with the metal and there isn't enough room in there to fit an EZ-out.
            GT

Comment

AAA and get the plus on it.
              that comes with 4 free tows up to 100 miles and if your driving a buddies car it will tow it to. Also they do jump starts,bring gas a send a locksmith out if you lock your keys in the car. It cost me less than 50 a year. the normal AAA just tows it to the next shop and the plus go 100 miles were ever you want it.
              93 festiva
              the only car I have ever own with no mods.

Comment

Originally posted by relentless
                AAA and get the plus on it.
                that comes with 4 free tows up to 100 miles and if your driving a buddies car it will tow it to. Also they do jump starts,bring gas a send a locksmith out if you lock your keys in the car. It cost me less than 50 a year. the normal AAA just tows it to the next shop and the plus go 100 miles were ever you want it.

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??????????????? :sign6:

:laughing3:

Comment

Working...
                X