rear defrost???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear defrost???

can any one help me figure out why the heck my rear defrost dosnt work. the light in the dash comes on when i flip the switch byt it diesnt defrost. its winter in pensyltucky now and it would be nice to have it, i just dont understand people sometimes (the previous owners) why dont people take care of their stuff i would think defrost is somthing you would want, and wheel bearings to but they were bad too and clean seats and... some peoples kids grrrrr at them:protest:
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Take a look at the wires on the back. On mine it's missing the power lead and no connector on the grid what so ever and on my dad's the ground wire is broke off the grid. From what I've read searching there's no other alternative but to replace the glass.. although I'm hoping some one will prove me wrong.
    Last edited by ericsmith32; 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Sometimes, somehow, the grid lines get rubbed/scraped off. You may way to check that also. Mine is having the same problem, so I am going to have to look at that myself. Good luck, and let us know what you find out.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

auto parts stores sell a defrost repair kit......look in to it.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

thanks. gota get this fixed asap its driving me nuts driving w/ a foggy rear window!
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
            auto parts stores sell a defrost repair kit......look in to it.
            And the guy from Florida knows this why??

I've noticed mine all work, just some seem to work faster than others.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Heck I have a couple Rear defrost cars and never use it. I did live in Tennessee for 26 years. Florida for 3.
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

also look at the wires between the hatch and the roof (wires my be broken in the rubber sheath)

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                  thanks. gota get this fixed asap its driving me nuts driving w/ a foggy rear window!
                  Hey there bobbyspider,
                  I'm a new Festy owner and I seem to have inherited the same mystery rear defrost situation as you detailed, many years ago now I see. Switch working, defrost not working... Do you recall what the fix was for your situation?

-Dylan

Comment

If the light comes on in the switch, then first pull the connector off of the left rear grid and check if juice gets all the way to the back. If not, then do what mechanical said. Pull the rubber back out of the hole and check for a broken black/blue wire. If you have juice getting to the grid, then check for a good ground on the right rear C-pillar.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 02-19-2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Along the same line, only 2 of the wires in the rear defog work. Is there any way to repair broken (?) wires?

Comment

There are repair kits for painting with conductive copper coatings. Michelangelo, move over.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X