HEAD BOLT????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEAD BOLT????

I'm replacing the head on my 93 Festiva with an Aspire head. Not a bad job so far except removing the crank bolt. While everything is apart, I want to replace the timing belt, but there is a flanged washer under the crank bolt, and I can't seem to get it off.

By the way, I've found the Haynes manual pretty much worthless on this project. They never mention that you have to remove the engine mount and lower the engine to get to the bolts on the crank pulley's, of the crank bolt itself. I found their manual pretty much worthless before when working on my Neon. They just seem to miss very important steps and information when doing various jobs....

Thanks,

Don

Is that the really HUGE thing? Otherwise I'm thinking of something else.

There's a key wedged in there. You have to pull that little square rod (key) out to remove it.

Since you're down there, replace that crank seal while you're at it. This way you know you won't have a leak.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Yes......the big bolt in the end of the crankshaft.

Don

Comment

If you have the smaller crank nose, you'll have that "key" that Darkdan told you about. Look at this photo:

The crank pulley on the right should be what you have. That slot at the top of the middle hole is for the key.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Re: HEAD BOLT????

Originally posted by DetroitDon

They never mention that you have to remove the engine mount and lower the engine to get to the bolts on the crank pulley's, of the crank bolt itself.
          Don
          You don't have to. I've replaced 3 timing belts and never had to lower the engine. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I know I didn't lower the engine.

Comment

Well if you're using a wrench you wouldn't have to.

If you're using an impact then you do.

On my aspire not only do I have to drop the engine, but I have to bend the wheel well up a little. then bend it back.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
            X