Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual transmission question

Guys:

I am trying to add some transmission fluid to a '94 Aspire with a manual transmission. I removed the speedometer cable from the top of the transmission by loosening the bolt and pulling the cable upward. Easy.

I was surprised by how little fluid I was able to add, like less than 1/4 of a quart. The guys at the Crappy Lube told me I was leaking transmission fluid, so I expected to be able to add at least a quart.

My question is, do I need to remove something else in order to add fluid? When I pulled out the cable, I could see a keyed collar inside the hole. The cable has a matched, keyed component that fits into this collar. Do I need to somehow remove the "collar" from inside the tranny in order to add fluid? If so, how??

Incidentally, the transmission is making horrendous sounds when in gear. Hoping that adding fluid helps, but I'm not holding my breath.

Has anyone had luck using a heavier gear oil in a manual transmission Aspire to extend the life of a failing transmission? The Dextron/Mercon stuff is so thin...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Andy

The transaxle doesn't hold that much. The sound you describe (if from transaxle) sounds BAD!. Stick with ATF.
    JMO

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

i was told at carquest that atf was what the computer said to use
      87 rx7
      92L starsky and hutchstiva bp swap, aspire swap, side pipes(tranny swap on the way)
      94 caddi deville
      99 f250 LD 4x4 12 inch lift on 38s

i need more festies.

Comment

Originally posted by andyinindy View Post
        My question is, do I need to remove something else in order to add fluid? When I pulled out the cable, I could see a keyed collar inside the hole. The cable has a matched, keyed component that fits into this collar. Do I need to somehow remove the "collar" from inside the tranny in order to add fluid? If so, how??
        Sounds like all you did was remove the cable. Put the cable back on (if you didn't). On the housing that holds the "keyed collar", you'll see a hold down tab held to the trans with a small (10mm I think) bolt. Remove that bolt and wiggle the housing around while pulling. It may take some work, but it will come out. You should see the speedometer gear on the end when you get it out. Pour the trans fluid in the hole.

You might be tempted to try to get the housing out by prying on the hold down tab, but don't. It will snap off (If it does, it's no big deal). the best way to get it out is to wiggle it and pull.

Incidentally, the transmission is making horrendous sounds when in gear. Hoping that adding fluid helps, but I'm not holding my breath.
        My original transmission did this. It was a bad input shaft. It could also be something as simple as the throw out bearing.

ATF is what's recommended.
        Last edited by JPT; 12-15-2009, 11:45 AM.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by FestivaFan View Post
          Sounds like all you did was remove the cable.
          I figured as much. I will give it another go this afternoon, although I didn't see the 10mm bolt that everyone is talking about.

I will stick with ATF as well. Hopefully this will get me through the winter!

Thanks very much for your help.

--Andy

Comment

You will need to remove this. Sorry, I thought you had already. How did you get ANY trans fluid in, and check the level with the adapter in place? The guage is built into this piece. Fill to between the raised marks on it.
            Have owned 9 so far
            Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
              How did you get ANY trans fluid in, and check the level with the adapter in place?
              LOL, I thought some went in, maybe it just flowed right onto the ground! Thanks very much for posting this, I guess I couldn't see the bolt that holds this in from the angle I was at. Man, there really isn't much room to operate in these engine compartments!!

Thanks again,

--Andy

Comment

Man, there really isn't much room to operate in these engine compartments!!
                No there is not, the use of one of those long progressively thinner funnel spouts I found at Walmart work well for that job. Or one of those that has the clear tygon tubing extending from the funnel work great too.

Just want to reiterate working the assembly back and forth to loosen it up.
                Use of some PB Blaster is also recommended.
                You could also use a small hammer to gentle tap it back and forth until it loosens up.
                Emphasis on gently.
                Better yet, a rubber mallet.
                Don't know if your aware of it but the assembly is also the "dip stick" to determine if the tranny oil is at the appropriate fill level.
                Assuming the car is unloaded and on a level surface.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The pic, above, shows the speedometer gear at the bottom of the assembly. Notice at the top there's an O-Ring seal. That is part of what makes it difficult to extract from the tranny. I've had some luck twisting & pulling the thing off while the speedo cable is still attached, but nonetheless, it take patience & a lot of grunting and/or other guttural utterances to remove the confounded thing.

There's a "notch" inside the hole that the speedo gear assembly came out of that will help determine when the tranny is "full".

God only knows why they couldn't /didn't just design a dipstick for this tranny.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                  In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

OK, so my transmission is toast. I got the whole speedo assembly out, filled with 2 quarts ATF, and closed it back up. It was still making an incredible racket, worse than before, so I figured I had done something wrong when I reattached the speedometer cable/gear. So I disassembled it again, and chiseled off the nylon gear, then reassembled. Nope, no dice, still sounds like it's tearing itself apart, and now I have no speedo

The sound goes away entirely when the clutch is depressed, and it goes into all of the gears easily (as long as the clutch is in), so maybe it's not a total loss. Still, it would cost more to replace the transmission than it is worth.

Anyone want to take her off my hands? $500 obo located on the south side of Indianapolis.

--Andy

Comment

Just don't use the tab to pry. The adapter is made of pot metal, and the tab will snap off easily.
                      Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Post in Fore Sale section with a link to this thread, I am sure someone will take it off your hands.

Comment

.... It was still making an incredible racket, worse than before, so I figured I had done something wrong when I reattached the speedometer cable/gear. So I disassembled it again, and chiseled off the nylon gear, then reassembled.
                          How did you imagine chiseling off the nylon gear was going to fix anything!

Just to let you know I pickup a festiva in Lexington,KY that had been driven with 2 qts low on ATX fluid.
                          Yes, it was making a horrible noise.
                          Had to do what you did, in the "light" of an Autozone parking lot at night.
                          I got the 2 qts of fluid in it and drove about 25 miles of a 350 mile trip and the tranny noise went away.
                          So I only had to contend with all four of the bearings grinding and howling.
                          Remember 25Horseplay?
                          That was 35,000 miles ago.

I'll give you $100 for it!
                          So a little patience pays off.
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

These cars are about as easy as it gets to work on. I wouldn't sell a Festiva because the trans is noisey. First, try driving it a while after you load oil in it. It may quiet down. If you did serious damage, it usually gives you a little warning before it becomes garbage. When the input shaft bearing starts to go (Which is typically the first thing to go bad in these trans), fourth gear will pop-out. They make rebuild kits for these trans but it takes a little knowledge to work on them and some special tools (you need to verify some clearances and will need dial indicators and machinist type tools). To remove the trans from this car it is pretty much by the book. I seem to have the easiest time by dropping it out the bottom of the car. I saw that somebody took one out from the top at a junkyard once, but believe me it goes easier out the bottom. You need to pull the axles though and, for some, that can be difficult. There ae previous postings that will tell you how to pull the transmission. If you are fairly mechanical in nature, you can have it out in less than 2 hours and still have time for a beer or two. If you need a transmission, I have a freshly rebuilt 4-speed that will bolt right in and I will sell it cheap ($200 and shipping). If you want, I can rebuild the 5-speed for you, but I will charge you for my labor and parts. I will be very reasonable since you are a festiva owner. Hope you decide to keep it. Either way - Best of luck to you.

Comment

so when you push in the clutch pedal in the noise stops?
                              93 Festiva L White B6T
                              99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
                              89 Festiva Blue
                              91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
                              93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
                              93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Working...
                              X