Smoking, leaking oil, sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking, leaking oil, sluggish

I have a 1990 Ford Festiva L-Plus (manual transmission).

Here's a little back ground....
    When I got her in September 05, she leaked oil (about 1 quart every 300 miles), idled around 400, and smoked very little. She's getting about 45 mpg.

She has 165K on her now, she is now blowing smoke (white) from the tail pipe. This started Wednesday, she was only blowing smoke after idling at a stop light for a little while then it would stop. Now she is blowing smoke all the time and has no power when driving. Spark plug number 4 is suspected not firing. She is idling around 600 now. She is not leaking any more oil then before.

We changed the spark plugs, wires, and cap. What else can we do? Is she savable?? I read on the boards that replacing the PCV might help.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

White smoke is indicative of water getting into the combustion chamber if I remember correctly. Does the smoke have a sweet smell to it?
    GT

Comment

You've got coolant entering the cylinders ,,, check your oil , I suspect it looks "creamy" ,, time to pull the head. You have either a cracked or warped head or a bad head gasket.. lucky for you changing a head gasket on this car is simple.. just make sure to buy the gasket kit with new head bolts... they are stretch to torque and shouldn't be re-used... and have the head planed even if it looks good to you..

Comment

Originally posted by gomer
        just make sure to buy the gasket kit with new head bolts... they are stretch to torque and shouldn't be re-used... and have the head planed even if it looks good to you..
        Where did you learn this? The Haynes manual says nothing about it. I've never had to replace a Festiva head gasket, but everyone who comes to this site asking about it says they cannot find new head bolts anywhere. Everyone just reuses the old ones. Since the book doesn't mention that the bolts are "torque to yield" and you can't buy new ones, I would assume they are not torque to yield and can be reused. Please let us know if you have read otherwise.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The smoke smells like gas, not sweet. We changed the oil just a minute ago and it does not look creamy or milky. If we can't figure it out today, it will go in the shop tomorrow.

When changing the oil, we noticed that it is losing oil much faster now. Could there be an oil leak somewhere that is causing the white smoke? It is mostly smoking right at start up or if it sits for a while.

Comment

Blue smoke is oil burning.

White smoke could also (rarely) be unburnt fuel too. Happens on diesels, not sure about gas engines.
            www.dantheoilman.com
            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

if its burning oil after start up or during idle id say you have a (if not a couple) valve seals gone bad....i have a bad seal that lets oil into the cylinder when it sits...crank it up and let the seal warm up and it doesnt leak....auto-rx may help ya
              90 L FI..second B3
              90 L Parts car
              Jay

Comment

ok, let's end the speculation. OEM service publications do NOT state the head bolts being TTY.

HEAD BOLTS ARE REUSABLE, PROVIDED THE ENGINE WAS NOT GROSSLY OVERHEATED
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                  ok, let's end the speculation. OEM service publications do NOT state the head bolts being TTY.

HEAD BOLTS ARE REUSABLE, PROVIDED THE ENGINE WAS NOT GROSSLY OVERHEATED
                  Thank you, Jim.
                  White '89L auto - Sold!
                  Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Yup gotta go with Jim on this one. When I did my head gasket on my festiva I took a quick look at the ford service manual just to make sure they weren't torque to yield, and sure enough they weren't. Good luck with your car.
                    The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
                    1988 LX ~sold~
                    1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
                    2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
                    1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
                    2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

Working...
                    X