Cooling fan running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling fan running

Just replaced the thermostat and gauge temp sender on my dad's 91. I did test the sensor for the fan by unplugging the sensor on the thermostat housing.. worked as it should. Few days later when the temps got below 10 degrees tried to start it and low and behold the fan was running. Double checked the connection.. no go until I pulled the fuse. Haven't replaced it yet to see if it still does. It seems like I had this on one other Festiva and basically had to do the same. After the fuse was replaced never had any more problems. Is this just a random bug?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Guess I'm the only one to have this problem. If it wasn't so cold I should of tested the switch. Oh well eventually I'll figure it out.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I'm not sure what good replacing the fuse does as far as killing the fan. AFAIK, a blown fuse will not allow the fan to run and a good fuse will allow it to run. Not make it run.

Comment

Had to pull the fuse so the fan would stop and the car would start. Fuse had nothing to do with the fan running.. it was either the switch reacting to the cold or the relay stuck.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Fan relay is sticking on. Very common in cold temps. A small amount of moisture in the relay freezes the relay in the on position during use. Disassemble the relay, and spray teh contacts and coil liberally with silicone lube. Should fix it for the rest of the year.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks Jim.. when it gets a bit warmer I'll give it a good spraying.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
            X