no fluid to rear right wheel cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no fluid to rear right wheel cylinder

hay guys, i was wonder if anyone has had this problem before, i recentaly aquired an 89 festiva with 97 000 on it, when i got it from the guy, he had just run one new brake line to the back left, and told me that he had to replace the distrubution block because he couldn't get fluid to the back, one side in particular (i forget which side he said he couldn't get fluid to) so he said he changed the distribution block and then it bled fine, so now that i have it, i decide that i was going to replace not only all the wheel cylinders, shoes and drums, but i ran another new line to match the one he ran so that the car has all new rear brakes.......so.......i put all the parts on , go to bleed, no fluid to the back, after an hour of bleed procedures.....no fluid, so i fugure, i will open both bleeders, and let it sit with the resivoir cap off and let it gravity feed, so i leave it for a day, come back and the rear drivers side has fluid but not the passenger side, not only that, but the one that does have fluid (drivers side), there is very little fluid comming out, and it looks thick and black at first (which is odd given the new line and wheel cylinder). I bleed for another hour, and barely got a few drops on the drivers side and no trace of fluid on the passengers side, this sounds alot like the issues the other guy was having, so i was wondering if the brakes system sat with no fluid in it for a long time (like this car did, the brakes were empty when i got it) woujld the seals in the distrubution block stick and cause a blockage? or could this be a master cylinder issue....the front brakes operate and bleed as normal

sounds like the lines are full of contaminated fluid. Flush the lines with alcohol and compressed air, and retry.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

To get my gravity feed started I had to suck on the line to create a vaccum. Bled fine after that.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Your rear flex hoses may have deteriorated internally and are blocking the fluid flow.

Comment

either one man power bleeder (vacuum or pressure)

or two man pump and bleed

I am the original

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
            Your rear flex hoses may have deteriorated internally and are blocking the fluid flow.
            excellent point. I always forget to tell folks to check those.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
            X