Knocking ...sometimes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking ...sometimes..

Hope this video helps.Anyway,got the engine in.Ran great in my car.Got past all the unknown problems the car previously had.We changed oil/filter.Car ran great(still does).We ran it all through,took car down road several times,around block.Then we drained all oil,put in new filter,new oil and a quart of Lucas.Ran it,just in garage,.Never started for two more days.Went and started it yesterday and it had bottom end KNOCKING.We had ticking,which all of my festys have ticked on top end.This was definately knocking on bottom end.Anyway,drove it home for the first time.By the time we got it home all signs of knocking went away.Ran greatIdle seems to be a little high,too.
    Went out today,started it and it didn't knock like it did yesterday,but,it still did it.I took a video so , hopefully you can hear it.Here it is.

given the poor quality of microphone used on the camcorder (no blast at you tony), i would suspect that to be wristpin/piston slap.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Sorry for poopy audio.All I could do.Now , why would I have that ? I mean this engine was fine in my other car and all the runs prior to the Lucas,in this car.We aren't extremely cold here(20's and teens) but,nothing has changed in engine but the Lucas.I was thinking of going and doing another oil change and putting it back to where it was without the Lucas.?????

Comment

TONY, was that motor out of a carbed car? I had one that was making the same "knock" Ended up being the skirts on the pistons were worn bad. Also sounds like some lifter noise but that will go away after a couple miles. My .02$

I know this doesn't help......sorry.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

No,it was out of my 90 LX.Like I said,ran great in my car.Ran great in moms car.Once we did the second oil change and added Lucas,seems to be when the prob started.

Comment

I have never used the Lucas oil stuff but those aftermarket oil additives, on older hi-mileage engines sometimes cause or at least accelerate wear problems. They are, if you can believe it, too slick. I had a older Dodge motor home can't remember the exact mileage but I did an oil change and added Slick Fifty (oil additive) and with in 60 miles my timing chain (oil bathed) jumped. The wear on the gear with the slick additive allowed the chain to jump time. This was going to be a problem sooner or later but I believe the oil additive caused it to happen prematurely as the gears and chain weren't worn that bad. Just my opinion.
            1991 Festiva EFI
            Papabug

Comment

I can't hear a whole lot from the video, but.............

Are you sure that the noise isn't coming from an accessory like the water pump, alternator, A/C (if applicable) or something else? Sometimes noise can be very hard to pin down. Also, I know you said it was coming from the bottom end, but if an HLA is completely collapsed it can make a pretty nasty knock. I had the same issue once and it really sounded like a rod bearing was out.

I would change the oil and filter again. Use a quality filter (just in case there is a flow problem in the filter) and use 5W-30 or 5W-20 without any Lucas. Lucas is great stuff, but the reason it will "climb and stick" as advertised is because of the high surface tension. This can cause aeration of the oil (trapping of air) and foaming. Where there's air, there's no oil. Plus, the HLA's have very fine oil passages and don't seem to like thick oil very much anyway.

Before I got too worried, I would eliminate all other possibilities. If it is something more serious, you have an excuse to do a B6, B8 or BP swap! Good luck!
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I would make sure all your pulleys are tight and that you don't have noise from inside the trans like a loose torque convetor bolt or something simple first.
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

Working...
                X