Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brakes not very good....pedal has a lot of play....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes not very good....pedal has a lot of play....

what could be the situation here? I looked at the break fluid reservoir and it was empty so I filled it with dot 3 brake fluid. Now it seems the brakes are working better but still the pedal goes far down until it starts really braking the car. Im wondering if I need new break pads or just to adjust the pedal or what.? Any Ideas?
    91 red l-

First question is where did the brake fluid go?
    My guess is you have a leak somewhere.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

maybe try bleeding the master cylinder and check fluid again, my master cylinder busted a leak on me, and I had to replace it. Did the same thing you're talking about. You must have a hole somewhere, or else the fluid would still be there!
      -Josh R

Comment

Yeah, could be leaking master cylinder, could be the wheel cylinders, or the brake lines themselves. Those would be the first areas to check.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

also take a look at the proportioning valve.

Put clean cardboard, paper, whatever under the wheels and some under the car in the neighborhood of the Master cylinder and proportioning valve.
          Then press the pedal a few time every 15-30 min for a few hours, should see something by morning, depending on how big it is.
          Of course with the snow we are assuming you have a garage.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^ A well-lit and heated garage, stocked with tools.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

i have an idea

check your Private Messages AGAIN

I am the original

Comment

I dont have any new mesages....? is it definetly a leak? i dont have a garage but i might be able to use one... this couldnt be the brake pads? i refilled the brake fluid and it hasnt gone down but i shall chek it and report back. thanks guys
                91 red l-

Comment

hey the same thing keeps happening to me my break fluid keeps dissapearing i had my mech buddy look at it he checked it over and said he couldnt find any thing. what could be happening? i made sure the cap was on good
                  -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                  -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Working...
                  X