fuel sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel sending unit

I have been trying to figure out which fuel sending unit I need for my 88 carb festy L . I did try to search but I cannot seem to find a direct answer "This is what you need...". The problem is I have never had to deal with a fuel sending unit before and it seems that there is a specific one as far as fuel levels go. Could use any and all help, looking for new/reman. if possible as I'm not ready to buy yet but just trying to figure out what I need. Thanks guys

You need any Carbed sending unit. The year of the car is not important. I put an 89 into my 88L with no problem. Just has to be from/for a carbed car.

Can't get Rock Auto's catalog to load, so I'm not sure if they carry them or not. I think you can get them via Ford, but they are pricey through them. My advice, put an ad in the FS/WTB section. Make sure you read the sticky first. Proper posting codes and all that.
    Last edited by batstiva; 12-21-2009, 01:29 PM.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Is it really that simple? Why have I seen so much on the site about people trying to figure out what ohm their unit puts off seeming to find a similar ohm unit? Thanks

Comment

I think you've been seeing a lot of people Ohm-ing (?) their sending unit to see if it was repairable rather than just replacing it. Don't know what exactly what yours is doing. Replaced mine in Batstiva because my gauge either read completely full, or dead empty. There was no in between. Swapped units, and never had the problem again.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Oh, Okay. Well thank you for your time and help!

Comment

Okay, so I've been trying to find a fuel sending unit online that looks like the ones I've found on the forums but the ones I am finding on store sites do not have "oval" tops, but instead they are round, for example: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...22&postcount=4

and this is what I am finding: http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...Sending%20Unit

I know about the FS/WTB but I do prefer to deal with a store or the likes. I just don't want to buy a fuel sending unit and have it be wrong and not mount or work. If the partstrain link is correct, is that a good price and will either one work fine? My gauge works on fill up but then eventually it will just drop to empty and stay.

Thanks again

Comment

Ohiostiva 2010

Too bad you can't wait for Ohiostiva 2010. I will be bringing three of them across the border. This is a parking lot install. I do not like to tease. Patience.

Comment

Ohiostiva 2010? Hmm more information would be good What'll you take for one of the units? Don't know if I can make it or not but just in case.. But I did say I wasn't ready to buy yet in my original post
                Last edited by MTec007; 12-22-2009, 07:32 PM.

Comment

the days are getting longer

My 89 sender went in the usual way. Coil windings frayed and resistance continuity was was lost. I will be bringing three used OEM in good condition to Cleveland in April or May (TBD), along with an 88/89 gas tank in mint condition. I encased it in high build urethane while it was brand new. That way no rust would get at it and the stones would bounce off of it. This is not a selling thread, but I will say that everything will be very reasonably priced at what I paid for them at the junk yard.

Why? Because I couldn't use them with a mechanical pump. Not enough clearance to the twin carbs. Since I had to go with an electric fuel pump, I will be selling my mechanical pumps too. One is even brand new!

Comment

MTec007... Welcome! FYI, here's a thread on some of the Festiva meets around the country...

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                    In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

MTec007...look up Tonycash... he had fuel sending units for these model years
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                        MTec007...look up Tonycash... he had fuel sending units for these model years
                        Thanks,Dan. Yes,I still have a couple.

Comment

Originally posted by TONYCASH View Post
                          Thanks,Dan. Yes,I still have a couple.
                          Your welcome!
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                          X