Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct ignition rotor position?

Hi everyone,
    I took my ignition rotor off the other day to check something ('88 festy, carb), and in my rush I forgot what position the rotor was in when I removed it. Does it only go on the shaft one way, or can it be installed in different positions?

I'm replacing the ignition module (again), so after it is installed, and if it doesn't start, can I then assume the rotor is positioned incorrectly, and try another position?

I should know this, but I don't!

Thanks and have a good holiday.
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Most rotors only go in one way. Take a look at the bottom of the rotor and it should have a flat section that matches the dizzy's shaft.
    Oscar

Comment

It depends on the button. Some of them can be installed more than one way for festivas.I suppose if it happened to me, I would find TDC on #1 piston by using the timing marks on the cam behind the front cover, removing #1 sparkplug and check it that way...... or trial and error it.......
      It's cold out there right now!!!!!!
      Keep your eyes open for a spare Dist, and put it, a stubby Phillips, a 12MM socket/rachet, and an 8mm socket on a handle for the next time in a box behind the seat. I never leave home without it anymore!
      I do feel your numb fingers!

Michael
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

all that I have bought can go on 3 different ways....the shaft is triangular shaped.
        If I do not remember I just take my best guess and if it is wrong...I take it off and move it one position....you only have 3 options and it will not hurt anything trying it till you get it right....5 minutes tops if you miss the first 2 times.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

What Genevadirt said!
          Then use a silver/white paint marker and mark the shaft that the rotor sits on so you don't have to guess again.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Funny you mentioned this. It happened to me the other day. I didn't know it would go on three different ways. I buttoned the engine back up and cranked it over and it wouldn't start and tried to kick back on the starter. I hadn't changed the timing so I started looking and sure enough....................

Comment

Working...
            X