Oak tree attacked me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak tree attacked me!

no... i didn't run into a tree. thats what my mom thot when we told her that an oak attacked me tho.
    Its been raining all day here, and after getting soaked just getting to my car (a 5min run from my last class) i picked up my dad and we were on our way home. on the road just past our place we were heading along doin about 50-55. bam! a large branch fell off an oak above us and hit the windshield. cracked it almost all the way from the top to the bottom just about right up the middle. my dad doesn't think its all the way thru, but i think so. its visibly concaved. also put a dent in the right front fender and bashed the pass side power miror back and jammed a bunch of wood in it so it stayed that way... idn if its broke or not i'll hafta check tomorow in the light. hope not.
    any way guess i'll be lookin for a new windshield....
    How hard is it to put in a new one? i'll be lookin @ the local yard for one soon, what do i need to look for? how do i get the new one out of the donor most easily/etc?
    Thanks guys!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Pay someone to do it. Most yards will make you pay for a window whether you get it out in one piece or you break it. There are some special tools that make the removal easier. To put it in you need to glue it with window adhesive. Also you'll need to find new molding clips. If you are really careful you can get the molding off without breaking them. They are brittle.

Call around and find a used glass and then find a window installer put it in for you.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I doubt you have full coverage on a Festy ,, but if you do most states have a clause required by the insurance commish that windshields are a zero deductible item with comp... NEW windshields are available as the car is still produced (just not sold here),, but you'll probably end up with a used replacement due to availability and time constraints... follow mattswabbs advice and let a pro do it for you... the old windshields with the big rubber gaskets were a DIY item (you only needed a large tube of KY and heavy mono filament fish leader to install) but anything else requires expertise that you can't learn as you go...

Comment

I had to change my windshield due to a cracked windshield ticket, my dad and i did it...we went to the wrecking yard with some long exacto knife blades and cut all the adhesive off, went over it many many times to make sure it was through both side, and popped it out..putting it in we just bought some adhesive and popped it back in...there's not really too much to it, just time consuming to take it out in order to keep it in one piece.

Comment

well, thanks guys... i was really hopeing to do it ourselves but my dad and i are both pressed for time right now and it needs fixed... so he's gona call around a few places tomorow.
          the power miror is OK... thank God for small favors!
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
          X