cv joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv joints

my boot get rip and the cv joint starting to go i think i loaded the broken boot with grease and monday i think i will replace it any tips on how to do this smoothly because ive never done this before or anything like it
    1989 Ford Ranger 177 2.9
    2001 hyundai accent 1.6 DOHC

It's pretty easy. I've changed out about 10 of them on Festivas, so I can now do it in about 45 minutes. Many people will say that you'll need to replace the whole axle shaft, but if you catch the failing boot early enough, you can just replace the boot. My first Festiva has over 300,000 miles on it and both shafts are original. I changed out quite a few boots, but I always catch them early because I inspect them every time I change oil.

The Haynes manual walks you through it, but if you don't have one, here's what I do. I'm assuming you are replacing the outer boot, correct?

1) Remove wheel(place the car on jack stands first of course)
    2) Remove axle nut
    3) Remove ball joint bolt
    4) Remove ball joint from hub assembly. Some people remove the torsion bar to do this, I leave the bar bolted to the frame and just pry down on the bar where it fits into the hub.
    5) Pull the hub assembly off of the axle shaft and move it off to the side.
    6) Remove axle from the trans-axle by prying between the transmission housing and the inner joint. (sometimes tough to get them out, other times they pop right out)
    7) Remove old boot.
    8) Remove CV joint. Place the axle in a vice. Place a large hammer against one side of the joint. Hold the large hammer so the joint is straight, in-line with the axle. With another hammer beat on the joint on the opposite side of the large hammer. Keep beating till it pops off. This step usually works best with two people, one holding the large hammer, the other one beating.
    9) Install new boot and put the car back together in the reverse order.

Comment

Not sure why my #8 is a smiley. 8 followed by right paren must be the code huh?

8)
      8)

Comment

Working...
      X