Leak down test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak down test

I have a BP on a stand and want to do a leak down test to see if I should open it or not before doing the swap. Which way does the crankshaft is supposed to rotate? Does it matter which way I rotate it to get the pistons to TDC?
    Oscar

I think it turns clockwise.
    '90 LX

Comment

Yes, clockwise.
      ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
      #2 .....Cheesehead
      #3 '91 White - Donor Car
      #4 .....Montana Project
      SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
      Bought her back for $450
      Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Same direction the wheels would turn if it were in the car.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Great, thanks guys!
          Oscar

Comment

you MUST hold the crank still when during the test, or you could hurt yourself. use a breaker bar.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did a leak down test on the engine yesterday. Since the engine is on a stand, the test was done with the engine cold but the numbers are bad enough that it doesn't matter if it was warm or cold LOL.

cyl #1: 75% through exhaust and rings
              cyl #2: 53% through rings and exhaust
              cyl #3: 80% through exhaust and rings
              cyl #4: 40% through rings

I had a breaker bar to hold the crank but didn't need it. The pressure used on a leak down is fairly low compared to the numbers you get on a compression test.

Sucks but I'm definitely going to have to open the engine. I was hoping that the HLAs were not allowing the valves to fully close but I'll feel better if I do a valve and ring job at least.
              Oscar

Comment

i usually test with 100 psi in the cyl so that the rings expand and seal. hence the breaker bar.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  i usually test with 100 psi in the cyl so that the rings expand and seal. hence the breaker bar.
                  I didn't think of the rings expanding with pressure. The gauge I have is from Harbor Freight and doesn't allow for changing the intake pressure (unless I'm doing it wrong). I had my compressor set at 120 psi but the gauge was only letting the cylinders get about 25 psi.
                  I connected the dual gauge to the compressor line, set the leakage gauge to 0% leakage using the adjustment knob (the pressure gauge would show approximately 25 psi) and then connected the whole thing to the cylinder with a quick-connect coupler. Those are the instructions for the gauge too, so I don't know if there's a different procedure.
                  Any ideas? I would like to try it with higher pressure and see if that actually results in lower % leakage.
                  Oscar

Comment

yeah, you're doing it wrong... i have the same unit. once you have it connected, you have to reset the pressure gauge to 100 psi again and then take your reading.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      yeah, you're doing it wrong... i have the same unit. once you have it connected, you have to reset the pressure gauge to 100 psi again and then take your reading.
                      I tried that too but it never gets to 100 psi. It will get to say 50 psi and the % loss will be at 0 but you can still hear air leaking and the compressor's pressure keeps dropping. I also read online that that's not the way it works.
                      Any other ideas?
                      Oscar

Comment

hmmm odd. what you're looking for is a differential between the first and second gauge. i've nevere had issues w/ mine using it as stated.

Comment

Working...
                        X