91 L Alternator replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 L Alternator replacement

I'm looking for some much needed advice.

I have a 91 L and it seems both my battery and alternator have gone out.

I'm heading to NV Pick-A-Part tomorrow and hopefully I'll be replacing it myself.

I have never done any work on my car other than oil change, spark plugs, stereo, etc...
    No "real" under the hood experience. But, I do have the Haines manual and my owners manual.

I can follow the directions in the manual but was just wondering if there is anything that gets in the way or becomes a problem, that isn't in the book.

Any advice on replacing the alternator would be awesome. Thanks!

A couple of things:

1. get the warranty. It will save you some heartache if the alt. turns out to be a dud.

2. be sure the alt. is from a fuel injected model...the ones on carbys are slightly different.

Changing an alternator on a Festy is a snap...fairly easy to get to, especially if you don't have A/C.
    1989 Red L- The Baron
    www.letstalkbeatles.com
    Link to Baron Pics:
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...nmervap/Baron/
    1990 White GL- Chuck (for now)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
      A couple of things:

1. get the warranty. It will save you some heartache if the alt. turns out to be a dud.

2. be sure the alt. is from a fuel injected model...the ones on carbys are slightly different.

Changing an alternator on a Festy is a snap...fairly easy to get to, especially if you don't have A/C.
      89 auto FI with air is different then a regular 90-93 FI

2 bolts and some wires Matt...no big deal at all
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Thanks!
        Exactly the kind of tips I was looking for.

Comment

I'm at pic a part right now and all they have is an 88 carbed festy. Can anyone tell me if there is another car I can pull one out of? Also, if you can text or call me with your reply's it would be badass cuz I'm using my friends sidekick to post. My number is 702 772 9775 I would appreciate it soooooo much! Thanks!

Comment

Mazda 323? Arent they upgrades for us?
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

yes sir, that and protege and an older mercury tracer if you can find any..

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                Mazda 323? Arent they upgrades for us?
                I dont know about that. I have a 323 with 60 amp and a B3 (that came from who knows what) with a 65 amp.

Just bring your Alt to compare....or do they not have shops to rebuild these anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by takeone51 View Post
                  yes sir, that and protege and an older mercury tracer if you can find any..
                  I know the SOHC B engines should be near fit, cant say about the DOHC

Comment

Working...
                  X