Where's the leak? Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the leak? Pictures

Leaking cars are not allowed in the assigned parking spaces of my apartment complex. My '90 L with 180,700 miles leaks, (see pictures). I must do something. But first I need to know what's leaking.

Picture links:

After that's established I'd like advice on "all" the possible ways such a leak can be stopped, including, since the only place I have to work is along the street, quick and dirty solutions like oils designed for high mileage vehicles, oil additives, and going to higher viscosity oils.

I'm afraid this car has gotten to the point where it needs more invasive care than my working conditions allow, but I'd like to keep it going while I look for a replacement Festiva.

All helpful comments appreciated.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

My guess: change the oil pan gasket, if that doesnt stop the leaking, then it should be the rear main seal.

Comment

Very common is for the valve cover to leak. How's yours? Since it's at almost the highest point of the motor, it will cover everything below it.

It also wouldn't hurt to add some seal conditioner to your oil, in case the motor has some dried seals in it. Might help, can't hurt. That and higher viscosity oil, which will slow down the leak but not stop it. Try 10W40 for example, if you're using 5W30. High-mileage-vehicle oil wouldn't hurt either, but not sure it's all that useful.
      Last edited by TominMO; 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Wipe with a rag. Tie rags around leaks to soak up oil and prevent dripping. Avoid hot engine parts. Colour shows it's oil.
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Do you have a mechanical fuel pump? could be the pump diaphram on the mechanical cam causing a leak
          "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

^ No I don't think so, here in the States 90+ Festivas were fuel injected so no mechanical fuel pump.
            '90 LX

Comment

Never said how your valve cover gasket was but I'd start from the easiest to the hardest! Most of my leak was from the valve cover gasket. Next it was a leaking heater hose and now it seems the windshield wiper fluid bottle is leaking. I still need to replace the oil pan gasket but I'm going to check the front crankshaft seal first. To me on yours it looks like the rear seal... the oil pan would run done to the middle of the pan not on the tranny. Funny mine still leaks a bit but hasn't lost a bit of oil, coolant or trans fluid in two week.. I guess it just like marking it's territory!
              91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Yeah Id lean more towards VC gasket as well. like Tom said its at the highest point and is not unusual for it to develop leak.
                Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                - Unknown
                I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Working...
                X