Dirt track ractiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt track ractiva

I have a 1988 Festiva 1.3L, 4 spd that was striped down to race on dirt oval. It's a stock 4 cylinder class. Took as much off the car as I could, and pulled all vacuum lines off the carb and plugged them, and cut small wires off the top back of the carb. The car ran but ran very rich. Over the winter, cleaned the plugs re-routed some of the vacuum lines, and took the small valve off the carb and replaced it with a bolt. Car runs better, but isn't right.. looking for ideas on after market carb, cam, valve adjustment, timing adjustment, and anything to make it go faster with out it looking like i'm cheating. End of last season installed 2" exhaust system, no muffler no cat straight pipes. Help me make the "chick magnet" go faster!

If you wanna go exotic try dual horizontal Webers or Dell'ortos. You'll have the noise, the power (if set up correctly) and the fun of a hard-to-start car!

Comment

Originally posted by gordon View Post
      I have a 1988 Festiva 1.3L, 4 spd that was striped down to race on dirt oval. It's a stock 4 cylinder class. Took as much off the car as I could, and pulled all vacuum lines off the carb and plugged them, and cut small wires off the top back of the carb. The car ran but ran very rich. Over the winter, cleaned the plugs re-routed some of the vacuum lines, and took the small valve off the carb and replaced it with a bolt. Car runs better, but isn't right.. looking for ideas on after market carb, cam, valve adjustment, timing adjustment, and anything to make it go faster with out it looking like i'm cheating. End of last season installed 2" exhaust system, no muffler no cat straight pipes. Help me make the "chick magnet" go faster!
      Do they impound the motor if you win the season? Just asking
      :festiva::newb::festiva:

Comment

Where are you going to race? I might be able to help you a little, maybe even get yours to run like this: http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Heat_win_2.mpg

You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

All depends on what (and who) does the tech inspection. Around here, if you finish in the top 3 of your feature race, they pump a cylinder to check your displacement and compression ratio and they pull the valve cover and measure the valve lift (at the valve).
          You can port your heads and not get caught unless someone puts up the claim money and accuses you of cheating. They must, however, state specifically what about your engine is in violation of the rules.

You may even be able to get away with running a B6 if no one knows better.
          One of the tricks we used to do was hone the center of the venturis out with a brake hone. On a Motorcraft 2BBL, we would open them up to the same dimension as a 500CFM Holley 2BBL (which were illegal). Then, we would lightly spray down the venturis with flat black spray paint to cover the hone marks and make it look like carbon. It made a noticeable difference in power and whether we ran in the front of the pack or the middle.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
          X