Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory brake upgrade + upgrading rear drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory brake upgrade + upgrading rear drums?

Hi guys,
    I've got a bog stock Festiva and its brakes are on its last legs. Furthermore I plan to have a small trailer for it in the near future (don't laugh ) which will add some extra weight (well within it's guidelines) I don't have the money to do one of those aspire upgrades but just still wanted to get more braking power into my car. During it's last full service my mechanic told me the brake pads are almost gone and when I look at the discs they are looking pretty old too.

When it comes to brakes I'll hand it over to my mechanic but I like to buy parts myself where possible to save time and keep costs down so if anyone could tell me everything I'll likely need.

So do I just need to get Brake Pads & Discs - I shouldn't need new calipers unless I go away from the factory pad size, correct? And lastly new brake fluid. May as well do that at the same time!

Also would there be much involved (and much performance gained?) from changing the rear drums over to discs like is up the front? If so what is recommended, the same size as the fronts?
    Last edited by Click_It; 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM.
    200,000KM milestone!

the cheapest and easiest brake upgrade is the aspire setup. if you cant afford that then forget rear disc. if you want a simple upgrade just swap the front now and save up for the rear later.

Comment

If you want to keep the stock bolt pattern theres the capri swap, I think you guys had plently of those down there too.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Since your in Austrailia you might want to do wht we call and Aspire swap, for you it would be a 94 or newer Festva. You will need to get new wheels, but the stopping power will exceed any other brake upgrade to the stock brakes.
        Brian
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
        :fish:

Comment

Don't underestimate the calipers making a difference! Check how the pads have worn to make sure the calipers slide freely on the pins. This will make a big difference, and they are bad about binding to the point you are only using one side to do all the braking.

Cheers
          Michael
          Have owned 9 so far
          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by m715 View Post
            Don't underestimate the calipers making a difference! Check how the pads have worn to make sure the calipers slide freely on the pins. This will make a big difference, and they are bad about binding to the point you are only using one side to do all the braking.

Cheers
            Michael
            you will have a brake pull either when driving or when braking if your sliders or piston is sticking.

Comment

is the aspire swap the one that gets rid of those stupid lug bolts and reverses it to nuts?
              It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

^no, you still have to install studs. the capri swap uses studs and nuts
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

is there a way to install studs on the stock hubs or is it not worth it?
                  It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

Sure you can, same as on the Aspire.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Search for Gorillaz stud kit or something like this

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

Here you go.
                        Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                        X