No oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No oil?

Ok, so first things first... My friend's car, a 1991 Festiva L (obviously FI), has a bad (valve cover leak?) oil problem. He just checked his oil, and he said there is barely any on the stick! He said it was full 500 miles ago, and now almost empty. The whole engine and trans are soaked with oil, but I would not think it could leak that much even with the oil cap loose! Any suggestions? Also, he says it is running really rich. He said you could smell fuel INSIDE the car! I figured maybe he was smelling an exhaust leak, but he swears it's fuel. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Does the car smoke at all? It could be burning oil as well as leaking.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

A little white smoke when it's first started up, but stops after a minute or two.
      The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
      89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

Ought to take a picture of my engine. A leaky valve cover gasket might surprise you! Mine really needs cleaning but with 30 degree weather might have a ice block instead. Smell fuel inside the car? On one of my Aspire's a few of the fuel pump's screws rusted off and on occasion I could smell gas. Usually around a corner.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Positive indication "white smoke" is a problem with kick down valve on automatics
          "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

If you have a mechanical pump it could be the diaphram on the cam, I got a second hand mechanical pump from the auto wreckers for a few dollars (petrol/gas pump).

If the seal goes oil goes all over the place and it appears to be the rocker gasket, and I replaced my rocker gasket twice before I realised that the fault was the mechanical pump.
            (1992 carb version Ford Festiva)
            "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

There is no question what your friend should do.

REPLACE THE VALVE COVER GASKET.

Once you have done that and cleaned up the remains you will better be able to decide what to do next.

Just a word of warning to anyone with a leaking valve cover gasket. There is no quicker way to loose affection for a car and the enjoyment that comes from working on it that an engine covered with oil. It has the ability to destroy even the most positive feelings you may have developed for you Festiva. It almost happened to me.

John Gunn
              Coronado, CA
              Last edited by JohnGunn; 01-24-2010, 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything
              Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
              X