Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me narrow down my electrical problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92festie View Post
    they have 24hr autozones??

Yes, strangely enough outside of West by god Virgina they have many new fangled things.
    I actually have a 24 hour Advanced Auto within 6 miles of me!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
      Can you not bypass the links as a temp test to see what happens? Don't do your jumpy near exposed metal.

BTW there is a thread somewhere where people replace those pieces with more heavy duty cartridge pieces, can't find it now. 30 second wait to search for a typo and now im impatient.

There you go.
      '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
        Thanks so much. These cars are much more simple, "starting over" seems to be far superior to playing around with a test light, unless you enjoy that.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I would kill for a 24hour auto parts store near me....so many times I've had to stop what I was doing cause I forgot some stupid part/tool/fluids

Comment

If I am understanding this thread correctly your dies on you while you are driving. I have had this happen to me in one of my previous vehicles and it turned out to be a loose connection on the battery. I'm not saying this is it, but sometimes we look into to problems a little to deep. Just my 2 cents worth. Again I am not saying I am right.

Another thing, why is west virgina so privledged to have a 24hr autozone? Must be nice to get parts whenever you feel like. lol
            Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Mr. Matt Awsome, i had the same problem.. its your crank pully the rubber isolator deteriorates and and the pully will turn very slowly and make a screeching sound like the belt is loose.. and also cause the alt not to charge and in turn killing the battery.. pop the hood and grab the pully and wiggle it with your hand, if it moves you know you have an issue..

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                Another thing, why is west virgina so privledged to have a 24hr autozone? Must be nice to get parts whenever you feel like. lol
                Brick, 92festie was surprised that there were 24 hr Autozones, not that he had access to one.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Shows you how well i can read and comprehend, but that does not change the fact that I would still like a 24hr part store too.
                  Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

If the alaternator tests okay off the car then the problem would seem to be in the belt drive on the car or in the wiring on the car.
                    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                      ..... but that does not change the fact that I would still like a 24hr part store too.
                      Yes, they make things alot nicer!
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

How's your charge light?

About two months ago at 180,000 miles the original alternator on my '90 Festiva died. It happened suddenly, no sign of any problem, then I started it and the charge light came on and stayed on while the belt emitted an extremely loud screeching noise, as if the alternator were trying to power the Las Vegas Strip, even though no electrical motors or lights were on. Since you haven't mentioned the charge light I assume it has not been on but that could be because the bulb is out. Turn on the ignition and, before turning the key the last bit to engage the starter, look to see that the charge light is lit. A suddenly screeching belt with a solidly lit up charge error light and you have a bad alternator.

I also took my alternator to AutoZone and they found it defective. But they also told me the used unit I found at the junk yard was defective. I couldn't believe it. The bearings were absolutely quiet and still packed with enough grease to slow it's turning. Took it to another AutoZone where it tested good. Moral: If you question the results of a free AutoZone test take to to another store for a second opinion. Cheap even at twice the price.

John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA
                        John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                        X