Shift up light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift up light?

John/Pu241 tells me that there was one year of Festys that had a shift-up indicator light on the dash. Any one know about this? I need to know if all Festys have the hardware (like sensors) in place, or just that one year.

The reason is that I am swapping in another instrument cluster from another car which had a shift-up light, and I just want to know if it's just a matter of splicing in the wire from the Festy female instrument plug to the new cluster plug, or is there a lot more to it.

Pics will be shown if/when completed.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

i have seen the emblem logo light up gauge spot on non tach clusters (if that helps) Ive recently looked over many diagrams and don't remember seeing any wire for it tho weird

you going to make it here friday or what get that turbo done ! lol
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

I'm not sure, but if it helps for the year and model my '89 L model had it.
      '90 LX

Comment

I'll be there Friday, God willing and the creek don't rise.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
          I'm not sure, but if it helps for the year and model my '89 L model had it.
          So an 89 with a non-tach cluster.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Yeah it was a non-tach cluster.
            Edit: And I know '88 L with the non-tach had them also but I'm not sure about '90+ non-tach clusters.
            Last edited by wybnrml; 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM.
            '90 LX

Comment

Yeah, Tom. My first Festiva, an 89L, had the shift up light but I never went by that when I shifted. And, yes, it was a non-tach cluster.

Comment

Tom, both my 88 and 89 Ls both have the shift light. Both are non tach clusters.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

So does anyone know what other hardware, if any, their cars had to make the shift-up light come on?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Looks like according to the list here.

It was only on the 88 and 89 Ls and L Plus but not the LXs and only those 2 yrs. Might have to look at my book and see if the wiring is still there for it.
                    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                    - Unknown
                    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Only 4 speed transaxles in 88&9 L models. There is an extra sensor on the 4 speed case.
                      Have owned 9 so far
                      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Mine only lights up when I first turn on the car, other than that it doesnt work. You really don't need it, I would say. Unless you are a perfectioness, which I can understand.
                        Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

The light drove me nuts till I changed all mine out to Tach clusters, but to each thier own. The light is supposed to work in 1-3 gear when "it" decides you should shift. The extra sensor tells the computer you are in 4th gear, and there are no more shifts possible.
                          Have owned 9 so far
                          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

According to my electrical schemaic in my haynes manual, the shift indicator light should have a green wire that goes to the ecu. Unfortunately that is all it shows in the electrical schematic. I will continue to look for more infromatioon though and let you know if I find anything new.
                            Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

What else do you need to know?
                              Have owned 9 so far

Comment

Working...
                              X