Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternator has different labeled inputs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator has different labeled inputs.

Replacing the Alternator in my '91 Festiva with the one out of my wrecked '88 Festiva.

'88 alternator takes a "T-shaped" plug, labeled "T' & "R".
    '91 Alternator takes an oval-shaped plug, labeled "T" & "S".
    Is it ok to connect "T" wire to "T" input & "S" wire to "R" input?

Thanks for your time.
    Kirk

Error! Alternator inputs

My BAD! Should be:

'88 ........................"T-shaped" plug, labeled "L" & "R".
    '90 ........................oval-shaped plug, labeled "L" & "S".

Do I connect "L" to "L" & "S" to "R"?

Comment

i just did this when i did my swap a week ago ill have to look again cant remember off hand ill get back if someone else cant help you
      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Okay, the answer is: "L" terminals are the same in both alternators.
        "L" to "L" & "S" to "R".
        Installing the '88 alternator in '90 festiva: Connect Blk/red wire to "L" terminal, which is the one that makes up the bottom of the "T"[ when looking at the back of alternator] & connect Red wire to the "S" terminal, to the left of the "L" terminal.

Comment

The alternator, according to my very limited Haynes the "L" terminal is for the charge indicator lamp, the "S" terminal is for the rotor, this manual calls the third terminal "B" and that is the one that runs to the battery via the fusible link.

The alternator is a three phase machine and the wound rotor is connected to terminal "L" via brushes and slip rings (its the brushes that wear out).

The Festy runs much better with a good alternator and the best thing to have as an extra mounted on the dash is a volt meter, a good alternator should output at about 13.5v, better than the old fashioned amp meters.
          "all I ask is the chance to prove that money won't make me happy":simon:

Comment

Yes this thread is over a year old, I know. But its the only one I found to be a little helpful. I am putting a 91 alt. in my 88 and I am confused with whats been said so far... any help will be appreciated

88 Festy L (The White Thunder)
            91 L came and gone, owned only 2 days

Comment

Originally posted by sanjeet View Post
              ... the best thing to have as an extra mounted on the dash is a volt meter, a good alternator should output at about 13.5v, better than the old fashioned amp meters.
              Saw this and just say if you are serious about monitoring your charging circuit, you need both an ammeter and a voltmeter. I've seen alternators that put out correct voltage, but not enough current.

The problem is modern cars have high output alternators and big appetite for electric so you would need a high end high capacity ammeter since ALL current, except to starter, goes through the ammeter. Worked fine on old vehicles with 20 to 40 amp output alternators/generators, but get much higher output and you will fry cheapie ammeter. Look at the range on their dial, most are limited to 60amp some even less.

Guess though its kinda mute point. If alternator on modern vehicle isnt producing current necessary, the car isnt going to stay running very long. Small batteries no matter their cranking amps tend to be too small to have that much reserve capacity.

Comment

Working...
              X