Carb problems.....again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problems.....again

heres how it is: the car starts up just fine, runs high idle to warmup on cold starts just like normal. but 9 times out of 10, just before the thermostat opens, it just chokes itself dead. as long as you dont give it gas it will start up and run for about a minute and cut back off.

as soon as you get it to regular driving temperature it will act fine. if you dont get it hot enough and park it, it wont start without ethyl and your foot on the floor.

im thinking choke thermostat or accelerator pump.

what do you think? please tell me somebody has had this problem.
    it'll do the 1/8 in 13.7, spin tires, and make all my drunk buddies giggle.

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Sorry i can't help you, but my 88 does this as well, but i have to use starting fluid to start it. After that it will start, but once it warms up it dies no matter what unless giving it gas.

Comment

my 89 sometimes idles @ 3k sometimes not at all.
      It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

i cant find anybody to rebuild it or any information

"I like a Festiva because there's less car to get in the way of the driving experience"

Comment

When I get some cash someone on here said they could get the mani redone to accept the 32/36 weber. Atleast I could do something with that carb.
          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

is that the only choice for aftermarket carbs?

Comment

no, you can put a Toyota 3K carb but need to make an adapter plate. but if you have emission test where you live, then you'll need to put a .082mm jet in the primary and a .138mm jet in the secundary. Thats how I have mine.

Comment

Where would you get the adapter for the Toyota carb? What Toyota car has the one we can use?

Comment

There have been others. I still have a Pinto setup upstairs I bought off a member years ago for one. I also have an adapter for the Weber, but currently still use the Aisin on mine. I *DO* have to clean them regularly with carb cleaner to keep them working, and you may want to consider changing the temp sensor under the intake manifold to get your carb to behave in colder weather. That said, in all fairness, I have one car who is a snow bird due to a full rich after one hour of starting condition when it is under 40 degrees outside. He EARNED his name..... The Curmudgeon

Michael
                  Last edited by m715; 01-29-2010, 04:46 PM.
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                    Where would you get the adapter for the Toyota carb? What Toyota car has the one we can use?
                    Since our carb is a funny size its a one off thing

Comment

Yeah i was figuring that. Sucks some times.

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                        I have it made in at a shop, you take the intake manifold and the carb and they do the rest. That carb was in a Toyota Corolla 1969-1979 - 1.2 L (1166 cc) 3K and 1978-1989 - 1.3 L (1290 cc) 4K . Basically is the same carb for both engines, just the jets and the needle change. It's relly easy to fix and almost trouble free:
                        Here's a picture:

Comment

let me see If I can get a camara and post a pic....

Comment

Cool how much does it usually cost to have the adapter made?
                            Could you get pics of the adapter like really detailed ones?

Comment

If you can please do. I would like to see that. Do you have to use a different kind of ignition system? Or will the stock system work?
                              Is that someone there ??? 1981 VW diesel pickup---1988.5 Suzuki Samurai tin top---1993 Festiva---1974 Bricklin SV-1 ( very thirsty basket case)---2003 Tracker(bells and whistles)

)

Comment

Working...
                              X