Reccommended oil type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reccommended oil type

Before you say anything, I did look for another post, but can't find one to answer my question...

When it hit -4 degrees (F) the other day, the Festy wouldn't start without a jump. I've got a brand new battery, and the coolant is in good shape, so I think my oil is the problem.

Somehow, I ended up with a case of 10W30. I'm thinking I need something like 5W20.

I'm a little south of Chicago, so negative temps aren't too uncommon (although it is unseasonably cold right now).

What type of oil do you guys reccommend? I appreciate the input.

I just got my Festiva in the fall and the PO had just had the oil changed so I haven't messed with it. But this morning the motor wouldn't turn over. It was 20 degrees out. The battery is an Interstate that is less than a year old. Once I get it running again I am going to check the alt. output voltage and get the battery tested.

I haven't checked the owner's manual yet for oil specs, but I may splurge and buy 0W30 Mobil 1. It will provide more protection at start up and hopefully give the starter a chance to turn the motor over the next time.

89 L (NJ)

Comment

The lowest you need to go is 5w-30. Right now I have a 50-50 mix of 10w30/5w20 and the consumption went from 1 qt every 3k with 10w30 to 1qt every 1k. 5w-20 will also kill your gas mileage, I get about 2-3mpg better in my aspire since i've switched from 5w20 to 10w30. I would recommend 10w30 or a thick 5w30, and if your worried about cold starts run synthetic.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I always use 5-30 regardless of the season, and my Festivas have always started in cold weather. I used to go to school in Grand Forks(ND) and there were many times when the car sat in -30°(or colder) temps all day and started right up. They don't like starting up without being plugged in when it's that cold and it's hard on them, but they will do it. If everything is working right, it should start right up at -4°. The 10-30 might make some difference though. I would definitely change it to 5-30, but I wouldn't go any thinner than that. You may want to consider synthetic oil. They don't stiffen up as much as dino oil, one of their many advantages.

Did the engine spin over slowly right away when you hit the ignition, or did it spin quick(well relatively quick, it's going to be slower at that temp) then you just drained the battery down because it didn't start right away?

What size battery did you get?
        Also make sure your battery cables are clean and tight. I always put contact grease on my cables as well.

When was the last time you changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc. I also put contact grease on my spark plug ends and distributor contacts as well.

These things can all make a huge impact when for cold weather starting. Actually a lot of things tend to show up in cold weather that don't bother in warmer temps(worn bearings, hoses break/leak, belts, etc.)

Comment

Another thing I just thought of, if you don't burn ethanol blended gas, you should dump in a bottle or two of HEET(they usually recommend the isopropyl alcohol stuff for fuel injection, but I have used both types). In the winter time, the temp changes can cause condensation to form in the tank, when the temp drops, the condensation freezes and blocks fuel lines. The HEET(or whatever brand you go with) removes the moisture(or rather absorbs it) from the tank and lines.

I've had this happen to me several times before I started using ethanol.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

I hope I never have to see temps like they have in the Dakotas, and I'm not planning on putting a block heater so I can plug it in. Something this small ought to start easily.

The battery is a Die Hard, a name that I trust. The guys at Sears told me it was the right size for the Festy, and indeed it fit the battery tray like it should.

The starter turned over right away, but very slowly. Took five tries this morning, before it actually caught and started up.

Cables are clean and tight; I'm not familiar with "contact grease". Checked spark plugs and distributor a few months ago, and all seemed to be in good shape.

Should also mention that I have no reason to believe I have a bad alternator, so I believe the battery is getting a fuall charge.

I guess I'll try going to a 5-30. And I'll look into a synthetic.

On the topic of HEET; they tell me that condensation in the line would create a rough running condition. Once the Festy starts, she runs like a champ. So, I'm guessing I don't have the condensation issue.

Again, thanks for the input. And wish me luck starting the car to get home today. It's another cold one out there!

Comment

Temperatures reached -23degrees C (-10 deg F) the other day and I had no problems starting my car. I run 5-W30 all the time with no problems and keep the car in good tune.

I have a block heater but usually don't plug it in unless it goes closer to -30 deg C overnight.

You have to love Calgary weather.... it was -23 on Monday as I mentioned but the high for Saturday is +9deg C (48deg F)!

Ian
              92 GL Sport
              Calgary
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by FestyGGK

Cables are clean and tight; I'm not familiar with "contact grease". Checked spark plugs and distributor a few months ago, and all seemed to be in good shape.
                The grease I have is actually called "Dielectric Tune Up Grease"

Comes in a small tube and you should be able to find it at any auto parts store. It works well.

What CCA(cold cranking amps) rating does your battery have?

Comment

Originally posted by FestyGGK
                  The battery is a Die Hard, a name that I trust. The guys at Sears told me it was the right size for the Festy, and indeed it fit the battery tray like it should.

The starter turned over right away, but very slowly. Took five tries this morning, before it actually caught and started up.
                  Die Hard is a name that I actually DON'T trust, mainly because its made by Johnson Controls. While at Ford, part of my job was to assist technicians with difficult to diagnose concerns, in order to help control warranty costs. Motorcraft batteries are also made by Johnson Controls, as well as AC Delco batteries. Discussing battery issues with JCI directly, I discovered they had the highest warranty return percentage in the industry. They pretty much admitted to me that they build the cheapest piece of crap they can get away with. I personally, would be much more comfortable with an Exide or Interstate. Additionally, starters do wear out, and extreme temps, cold or hot, can aggrevate the condition. If you're sure the "new" battery (ask Sears about them selling old and returned batteries as 'new') is in good condition, I'd then suspect the starter. Even 10W30 should flow reasonably well down to -40F.
                  Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                  Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

In OHC engines conventional 10w30 shouldn't be used past about freezing. In OHV engines then till about zeroF.

A synthetic 10w30 flows decently well at those temps.
                    www.dantheoilman.com
                    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

5w-30 royal purple it might be 6 dollars a quart but its worth it.
                      the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

not trying to intercept the topic but mine has 260,000 miles and it never gets below 0*f here...what oil should i use after my auto-rx treatment?
                        thanks
                        90 L FI..second B3
                        90 L Parts car
                        Jay

Comment

cold

lol...

here in the north of Canada (sept-iles) we have very cold winter (-25 deg C) and run 10w30 or 5w30... if you have good battery and starter, good tune-up and good compression, your car must start on first try.

i found some festy - aspire with a no start when cold, i found some with water in fuel and some with less than 130 psi of compression.

on stock engine my aspire start at -38 deg C unplugged and with the remote starter. now temp is -14 deg C and it start (i have a stand alone computer, bp, turbo... .... ...) with 10w30 diesel esso (exxon) xd3 oil.

the fastest aspire auto in the world with winter tires

Comment

Originally posted by studdyhalllooser
                            not trying to intercept the topic but mine has 260,000 miles and it never gets below 0*f here...what oil should i use after my auto-rx treatment?
                            thanks
                            5w30 in the winter. 10w30 in the summer. Or a synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 all year around.

That's one of those "it gets cold enough" climates to want a 5w30.
                            www.dantheoilman.com
                            AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                            Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                            Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                            X