Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

Went and had the car tested today, it passed but I'm afraid it might not next year. The load emissions test was well below standards, but the idle test just barely squeaked by. Is there anything I can do to improve my idle emissions for next year? My engine is pretty much stock except for a hollowed out cat and capped off tb coolant lines.
    GT

you just answered your own question. Put a new cat on it, and you'll be really suprized at the #'s it blows.

here's my predicitions w/ a new cat

HC = 00.001
    CO = 00.000
    CO2 = 05.xxx
    O2 = 00.000
    NOX = 00.0xx

a high CO2 count is good. it means all the nasty gases are being converted to other things, like H2O and N.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Well last year, my readings were only slightly better, and that was before I hollowed out my cat. Wouldn't it make sense that if the cat was the issue, I would read a higher level of dirty emissions under a load?
      GT

Comment

Double post: Got the test results sitting in front of me, and this is what I'm getting:

Test ------------ Load reading ----- Idle reading ----- Accepted standard
        Hydrocarbons - 93 ---------------- 215 -------------- 220
        CO ------------- 0.53 -------------- 1.12 ------------- 1.20

As I said, this is only slightly higher than what I got last year before I hollowed out my cat. Is it possible this is being caused by something else? I fear my car won't pass next year.
        GT

Comment

keep in mind, your cat was how many years old? even they wear out and get contaminated. there was a reason you hollowed it out..... put a new one on just before your next test. a properly functioning cat can mask even the dirtiest engines..... a dead cat (insert joke here) will act like its not even there. the simple fact you passed with NO cat means your engine is performing properly. hell, I even got my dad's 95 E250 to pass Maryland's IM240 with no cat. stick a new one on, and you should be fine.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I would keep it to myself about hollowing out the cat.......get caught and you'll be Bubba's next date!

Don

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
              keep in mind, your cat was how many years old? even they wear out and get contaminated. there was a reason you hollowed it out..... put a new one on just before your next test. a properly functioning cat can mask even the dirtiest engines..... a dead cat (insert joke here) will act like its not even there. the simple fact you passed with NO cat means your engine is performing properly. hell, I even got my dad's 95 E250 to pass Maryland's IM240 with no cat. stick a new one on, and you should be fine.
              Point taken. I'll purchase myself a new cat before next year's test in that case.
              GT

Comment

Kindred,

You might want to add Auto-Rx to your engine it works great on emissions good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X