Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headlights+Taillights+Dash Light (don't work) Brights+Turn Signal+Rev. Lights (Work)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlights+Taillights+Dash Light (don't work) Brights+Turn Signal+Rev. Lights (Work)

Fellow Festiva Friends:

I need some serious help with my Festie. One day the headlights, taillights, and dash lights stopped working. The brights, turn signals, and reverse lights work perfectly. I checked the fuses and took apart the headlight switch and cleaned all the old fashioned conductors and put it back together. Nothing has changed. I good enough with cars to get myself into trouble so any advice is good advice. Thanks for everyone's help on responses before hand. ^ ^

I need a year to help. '88-'89 or '90-'93?
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I have a 1989 Ford Festiva 5 Speed (carb)

(Can anyone show me where the Parking Lamp Relay is inside my engine compartment) I read it was in the engine compartment on the passenger side near the VAC. No idea, and can't see one (maybe i'm lost) =)

Comment

should be on the driver side, tucked behind the headlight on the frame wall.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

are we talking about the 3 separate wire little black box behind the battery that say:

Brown l Red l Brown
          PTC l Main l Head

???

Comment

Originally posted by mdswsu View Post
            are we talking about the 3 separate wire little black box behind the battery that say:

Brown l Red l Brown
            PTC l Main l Head

???
            No, those are fusible links and should be replaced with cartridge fuses after we find what the problem is with your lights.

Wondering if it's you're light switch itself?
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well I have worked with the old fashioned conductors on older subaru's. The window regulator wouldn't work properly on Subaru's and I took apart the unit and saw the conductors inside were very corroded so I took some sandpaper to them and cleaned up all on connections and it worked perfectly ever after. These same connections are inside the headlight switch, so I took some sandpaper and cleaned up all the connections. It doesn't have anything else inside the headlight switch to be able to work on. I hope this helps, but I wont make it seem like it couldn't be the switch. I just try and work on stuff until I KNOW it doesn't work. =) I appreciate everyones quick responses ^ ^

Comment

the Park Lamp relay won't affect the headlamps.

I would first replace the fusible link labeled 'HEAD'. I'll get my wiring diagram out in the morning.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I just found out tonight where the linkable fuses were. I know the one that is labeled "Head". Where would I go to replace a "Linkable Fuse"? I have never really honestly heard of a Linkable Fuse until this car. I will let you guys know tomorrow if it works (if I can get a proper place to pick them up). Thanks so much for the help this far ^ ^ (greatly appreciated!)

Comment

a PAL type fuse cartridge fits right in its place.

Add your location to your profile, there might be a member nearby who can help.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

ok, after looking over the wiring diagram, I have a few suggestions. First, the headlamps do not share any circuitry with any other lamps. In fact, both hi and low beams share the same fusible link. So, if hi works but low doesn't, that leaves with only a few options;

Did you check the bulbs to ensure the low beam filaments are working (not burned out)? If the bulbs are good, the only things left are the switch itself and the Red/Blue wire from the switch to the low beam filaments.

For the marker and instrument lamps, the headlamp switch gets power for this circuit from the 'MAIN' fusible link, then they both get power from the headlamp switch thru the 'TAIL' fuse in the dash. Make sure you have voltage at that fuse with headlamp switch in the PARK and HEAD positions. If not, then there's an issue with either the headlamp switch (again), or the Red/Black from the switch.

At this point, it seems the most likely culprit is the headlamp switch itself, as Pu241 suggested.

Hope that helps.
                      Last edited by FB71; 02-11-2010, 02:36 AM.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Ok I live in Vancouver, WA. Do you know anywhere close where I could pick up either PAL or link fuse at? Do I pick up the Male or Female PAL fuse as a replacement? What is Brown l Red l Brown? Is there certain rating fuse I should get?

Comment

See posting #4 in this thread to see what the fuses look like (ignore the little red one in the back). Most people go with 30-40-30 rather than 20-30-20 tho. Make sure you get the long-legged ones (used in Festys), not the short-legged ones (used in Aspires). Any auto parts store will have them.

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Adding mostly for info:
                            I just had the Relay for my Parking/Intrument/Tail Light fail last week. Mine is a '93 but was located in the same place, behind the headlight on the passenger side (U.S.) covered with a rubber boot having 4 wires. It clicked and appeared to opperate with the cover off, but somehow, no continuity carried through to the external terminal.
                            Solution, yep, pop the hood and stick a fuse in the 2 female teminals @ night, pop it out when I get home; just until I get to the junkyard.

Listen for the relays clicking, at least. If no sound under the hood need to trace low tension source issue back through the switch & fuse box.
                            If you hear the sound, jumper the leads to eliminate a bad relay possibility.
                            And, yes, that other side of the circuit is hot all the time, so if you get no lighting with the relay bypass, work your way out from the battery.

Almost all cars now have fusable links off of the battery teminals now, one had so many leads coming off of the POS terminal I couldn't get the Jumper cable clamps on it to start my son's '55 Olds.

(Apologies for TMI)

Comment

Ok so I found the problem. I took apart the fuse box located under the steering column, and found that one of the prongs was not attached to the box located on "Tail". I put it back in and the problem was mostly solved. I am not getting head lights, and running lights. Now I have 1 thing to add. I bought this car off a back yard mechanic who thought he knew what he was doing when he dug into the wire harness and added more STUFF to it. I took apart a lot of what he did, but i somehow don't think i am gettin everything. I was driving on the freeway and i lost all power. It was sorta like the battery died. I thought I needed to replace the battery but this is what i came up with today.

Battery Check:

Normal 525 CCA
                              Mine 465 CCA

Alternator Reading:

Charging Battery at 14volts

I am thinking there is a live wire that doesn't have shielding that is grounding out somewhere against the shell of the car. Can anyone tell me what I could use to do a diagnostic on the wiring system? Anyone have any glue why only my running lights and headlights don't work. All other lights work now. =) Thanks again for everyones patience and knowledge no matter how indepth you get =)
                              Last edited by FB71; 02-17-2010, 02:39 PM. Reason: language!

Comment

Working...
                              X