Life of original clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of original clutch?

How many miles have you guys gotten out of the original clutch on your cars? Mine's pushing 180K and it's still going strong, even though it has taken a major pounding (5 people taught to drive a stick on it, made it smell once or twice when starting out in the wrong gear) and has never been worked on or even had the pedal adjusted. Doesn't slip at all.

Is this a fluke or are these just really tough clutches?
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

My Dad's festiva is at 180K with the original clutch. He also taught five people how to drive a stick in his car. His clutch, though is finally starting to wear out. He has owned the car since brand new so we know it is the original clutch.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Bought my 93' GL with 221k miles on it. It had the original clutch in it, and it didn't slip AT ALL. I firmly believe I could've driven another 100+k on that clutch with no problems.

When I did the engine swap I inspected the clutch disc and it looked fine...no glazing or abnormal wear...had lots of life left.

Stock clutches are made by daikin. Here they are known as exedy. excellent friggin clutches.

My stock 1.8 DOHC protege one lasted 170k miles before it had to be replaced, not bad for a 114 torque/125hp engine.
      Wil
      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

336K and all is good...I introduced 8lbs O' boost and it slips like a MF.

Comment

Mine still worked/looked good when I replaced the engine at 265k miles, but I replaced it anyway.
          And it all depends on how you drive.
          ~Jeff
          1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
          1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
          2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

mine still looked OK @ 140k when i pulled my engine (2 days ago lol), but it was getting close to the rivets on one side. i put a new one in, and i'll save the old one as a spare because i'm sure it would last a while longer. the guy who owned the car before me beat the living tar out of it, plus quite a few people (including me) have learned to drive in it.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

My first one had 180,000 miles on it when I changed it out, but it had lots of life left on it. I'm sure it could have easily made it to 250k or more. Like someone else mentioned, it's all in how you drive. I heard a story of a lady who burned out 3 clutches in less than 50,000 miles, then complained to the garage that these were crappy cars. No, you don't know how to use a clutch.

Comment

The DeathEgg just turned 191k,, still going strong!
                However, after going up a decent incline, I can smell a burning smell, which I think is the clutch. Still gets good mpg, etc, but the acceleration isn't what it once was.
                Driving across country in 2 months, and would like to know if it's ok.
                Is there any test you can do? I once heard about a test whereby you put your car against a solid, unmoving object (brick wall, mother-in-law, etc), put it in 2nd, and tried to engage the clutch. If it stalled, then the clutch was OK.
                If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                Mark S.

Comment

I bought my first at 119,000 with a blown clutch (paid $400) replaced with autozone part which lasted about a year with lots of
                  6000 rpm shifts.

According to the haynes manual to check for proper engagement you put the car in 5th while sitting still then let out the clutch.
                  If it dies your clutch is still grabbing, but this test has nothing to do with how well it grabs just that it is.
                  Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                  - Dennis Grant
                  FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

my clutch looked good at 235,000 miles.

I replaced it when I replaced the engine. but the clutch still looked ok!

hey tim, long time no posts for me

my festy "dirty bird" has been running strong!

I am doing a water pump right replacement in the garage right now (at midnight). one of the gaskets started leaking. that was my fault though. I did a dirty job on them when I replaced the engine.

-joe
                    Dirty Bird Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3lZFu6xRNk
                    extreme unicycling with my Festiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSEpsjCKQ0

Comment

Working...
                    X