rear strut problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear strut problem

i did both the struts on my rear festiva, i installed them both exactly the same and cant figure this out for the life of me. the left side strut is fine and working properly, the right side strut not working so.... the problem is whenever i hit a bump it makes a ting as the strut comes up and down and knocks that washer, its not being held in place when i hit a bump and essentially is doing nothing other then bouncing up and down. its screwed tight, maybe i loist a washer or something that goes on the strut before the top nuts. It was a long time before I ever drove it that I did this work so im not sure as to what I might have done wrong.

I think you lost one of your thick rubber bushings. There should be one on top of the strut tower and another one on the underside of the strut tower. If you are missing one of those, there is no way you can tighten the nut on the strut tight enough to eliminate end play in the shaft. It will bounce up and down through the strut tower hole.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

thank you very much festy46 ill have to make a trip to the JY and grab one, cant believe i missed one... its a pita to do these struts hehe. coil spring compressor is annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by hermit View Post
        thank you very much festy46 ill have to make a trip to the JY and grab one, cant believe i missed one... its a pita to do these struts hehe. coil spring compressor is annoying.
        you don't have to use a compressor on the back ones. Just take the nut off inside the hatch and then start raising the car up.....it will reach enough travel to relieve the pressure so you can work on it.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

any tips for removing the bolts off the end of the strut? the strut just spins when i wrench on it and cant seem to find anywhere to grab onto the shaft without removing the boot kit, and since its the wrong bootkit its really annoying to take off.

Comment

Working...
          X