A few problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few problems...

Got my blue '89L running the other day (and yes, a lawn tractor battery will start the engine! ). However, it has a few problems:

It runs kind of poorly. The car will start right up, although sometimes it won't idle. When it runs, I have to rev the engine when starting in 1st to prevent it from stalling, which it likes to do. Once the car is moving at a steady speed it seems to drive fine.

When the car is started cold and I'm revving the engine so it won't stall, sometimes it will stumble, and I'll hear a sort of "pop" from the carburettor. It's not a backfire, and isn't very loud, but it is noticeable.

The car also spews out white smoke from the muffler when starting cold, which is near impossible to see in daylight but is very noticeable on a dark, cool night. It passed the emissions test last spring and apparently smoked since day one (the car was driven for maybe a week after it was bought, and has been sitting for about 6 months).

When the car changed hands it had an oil leak somewhere in the engine bay. I traced it to the valve cover gasket, which had grit on it and probably didn't seal properly as a result. When I yanked the cover off, the valves and lifters were jet black, not golden brown like the ones in my silver Festiva. Is this a bad omen?

Since I purchased the Blue Festiva I've replaced the spark plugs and wires, which made a significant difference.

Any suggestions as to what my next move should be? Is the carburettor messed up (my friends seem to think so)?

EDIT:

Did a compression test.

Piston/Pressure:

#1 - 147 psi
    #2 - 147 psi
    #3 - 90 psi
    #4 - 120 psi

Can't check the timing because some idiot changed the belt but didn't put the cover back on... :roll:

The exhaust has a foul smell, can't put my finger on what it is though.

No oil in the coolant, which is full and green. However, the car drips oil. Don't know if the leak is still with me or if it's just oil that was already on the engine dripping off.

/EDIT
    I appreciate all your help!!

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

ok. the stalling and white vapor sound like carb issues. If you haven't already, change the fuel filter. That's not the cause, but it can't hurt. Sounds like A: the idle circuit is restricted in the carb, and B: the cold idle speed is out of adjustment. Get yourself a rebuild kit from partsamerica.com, pull the carb, take it apart, and clean it really well. get some pipe cleaners and get into all the nooks and crannies. Don't count on a chemical treatment, I haven't seen one yet that can remove the gunk I suspect is in there (Uncle Fester suffered from the same ailment). besides, just because of its age it could use some freshening. After its back together and on the car, cold idle speed (full choke) should be 2500-3000 rpm, warm (curb) idle should be 780-920 rpm. There are two separate screws for these settings. Curb idle is set by the black plastic headed screw on the passenger side of the carb, and fast idle is set by a small metal screw on the drivers side of the carb, on the choke linkage.

Now, what really concerns me is your compression readings. Did you take these readings warm or cold? They should be checked at or near operating temp. Did you do dry and wet tests? Dry is just what it sounds like, wet, you add about a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder before the test. If your pressures are low dry and higher wet, you have a ring problem. If there's little to no change dry to wet, then chances are you have a valve sealing issue. And the blackness up top tells me they didn't change the oil often.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I'll rip the carb off tomorrow and scrub it out, as well as adjust the idle settings. It is filthy - good guess - and no doubt the gunk is making it run poorly.

The engine was cold when I took the compression readings. I didn't have any oil handy at the time so I could only do a dry test. I'll do that tomorrow as well.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

That 90 PSI reading doesn't look good.....I just finished replacing a head on my 93 Festiva and it had one cylinder at 60 PSI and another at 90 PSI, and besides a blown head gasket, those two cylinders had burnt intake valves. My engine sounded just like your's in starting and idling. Ran smooth above that, but lacked power. I would investigate some more before you waste a bunch of time on a carb. A good carb isn't going to fix poor compression.

Don

Comment

I'll pull the head off too while I'm at it and see what's up.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

do your warm wet and dry compession tests first....

that can help pinpoint the problem much more quickly.
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
              do your warm wet and dry compession tests first....

that can help pinpoint the problem much more quickly.
              Did the wet compression test with a warm engine.

I was able to get cylinder #3 up to 120 PSI from 90.

Cylinder #4 went up to 147 PSI from 120.

In the process of driving the car around and fumigating the neighborhood, I was able isolate the oil leak.

Oddly enough, white burning-oil-scented smoke is coming from the flange where the exhaust manifold meats the pipe. What would cause oil to end up here and burn? There's no oil on the manifold cover, which I haven't removed yet - I'm afraid to, because the bolts holding it on are really rusted.

Regards,

Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

If you're talking about the manifold heat shield, they will look awful. Mine did and still came out without breaking. If they break, they break. Soak them with PB for awhile and don't worry about it.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

the bolt head broke off on the left and bottom bolts holding my heat shield on...ended up having to grind them off the cover....just running without it now
                  90 L FI..second B3
                  90 L Parts car
                  Jay

Comment

ok.

first, that engine needs to be re-ringed. fairly inexpensive and relatively easy to do. call Northern Auto Parts (naparts.com), they usually have Mazda engine stuff pretty cheap, or check your local chain stores.

second, the oil could be coming from the head gasket, allowing oil to push out under the exhaust manifold and burning on the flange. Not a big deal, since the head will have to come off to re-ring.

replace the rod and main bearings while you're in there. use standard size if the crank bearing surfaces looks smooth and shiny. if it looks a little nasty, you'll have to have it polished, and the machine shop will tell you what undersize to use. get a valve job done to the head while its off as well.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

I attempted to remove the manifold shield today, but I stripped the bolts in the process. :evil:

The bolts seemed to be almost "soft" - the socket chewed them right up with very little pressure applied. Time to get one of those Metrinch thingies or a grinder!

Sounds like it's time for an engine rebuild!

Got some engine-repair-related questions I'm about ask in another thread.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Turned out all the problems with the car running like sh!t were due to a disconnected vacuum hose... :roll:

Boy do I feel dumb.

But there's still that oil leak around the intake!
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                        X