Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, new Festy owner.. and asking for help. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning to wonder..

... reading through some of the threads, starting to wonder if it isn't fusible links as well as maybe an issue with the coil (I read Sparky's post.)

Car ran fine, right up to almost the exact same spot as yesterday, then alternator light started flickering on, and things started to act up. Headlights stayed bright without any flickering, so don't believe it's the alternator now.. just the charge getting to the battery.

Five stops for about 5 mins apiece and average speed around 15-20 mph (20-30 kmh) on the way home tonight. 3 hour trip home.

Fusible links could be heating from dead cold, which affects the charging circuit.. and then the coil warms up enough to start triggering its malfunction..
    Carz:
    '09 Ford F-150
    '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
    '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
    225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
    ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

As the Festiva's Wheels Turn...

Managed to get to work and home yesterday with almost no stops through some quick pedal work.

When I'd start to lose power yesterday, off the pedal came the foot for half a second, and then right back to where it was. So 65mph (110kmh) most of the way. Was too hard on it last night though, so I was easier on it this morning, 55mph (90kmh).

Temperature has warmed up to about 28F (-2C) which has greatly helped the car, along with the 15 min warmup. No pedal work needed today.

And today, changed the fusible links with the 2 FLF-30 and 1 FLF-40 fix. (Bought them at Gregg's Distributors in Edmonton if anyone to the northish of Alberty is looking). Alternator light is still on, so that doesn't appear to have changed, no appreciable difference in the 10 minute drive back to work. So, still looking for the fix, but I didn't appear to break anything else in the process. Positive that the alternator is charging, or that type 35 battery I bought is holding a heck of a charge.

Will let you know if I find anything else... then it's tackling the interior dome light (replacement bought at the JY already) and coil (picking up one of those towards the first and payday). Oh, and removing the passengers side door panel to get a shot of the door lock for key replacement..
      Carz:
      '09 Ford F-150
      '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
      '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
      225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
      ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Working...
      X