My Festiva is losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Festiva is losing power

My 1989 Ford Festiva (Carb) is losing power. I am driving on the freeway and it lost power when I turned off the car and tried to turn it back on. The battery is 465CCA (Mine)/525CCA (Brand New) and tested Good. The alternator is pumping out 14volts to the battery so that is good also. I Drove on the freeway last night and the car's lights and interior lights were all dimming. The Heater/Cooler wouldn't turn on when I tried to power it on also (Never noticed that before). But somedays the car will work just fine. Today I drove and it drove "Normal", but sometimes it loses power. Can anyone help? Thanks

Try replacing the Fusable links like in this thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=fusable+links My head lights would go out then I replaced the Fusable links and it no longer does it.
    '90 LX

Comment

check the battery ground lead on both ends.
      money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Originally posted by mdswsu View Post
        My 1989 Ford Festiva (Carb) is losing power. I am driving on the freeway and it lost power when I turned off the car and tried to turn it back on. The battery is 465CCA (Mine)/525CCA (Brand New) and tested Good. The alternator is pumping out 14volts to the battery so that is good also. I Drove on the freeway last night and the car's lights and interior lights were all dimming. The Heater/Cooler wouldn't turn on when I tried to power it on also (Never noticed that before). But somedays the car will work just fine. Today I drove and it drove "Normal", but sometimes it loses power. Can anyone help? Thanks
        alternator is dieing ... and battery is possibly dieing too.
        "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        There ain't no rest for the wicked
        until we close our eyes for good.
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

If the alternator is putting out a steady 14 volts, either the regulator is bad, the battery is dying, or the fusable link is bad. May also be corroded battery cables as addressed above.
          Chuck
          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
          If money will fix it, it's not broken
          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
          93 GL - Lil Red
          91 L - Tweetystiva
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by mdswsu View Post
            Dumb questions coming, so be prepared. :p
            How long has it been (if you know) since the plugs, wires, button, cap, etc. were changed? In other words, is it time for a tune up? You lost power when you turned it off. Did it restart? Right away, or did it need some cool down time? Sudden loss of power, or gradual draw down?

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
            1989 L - 247K miles Slick
            1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
            Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

ok, ok hold on here. first get yourself a digital multi-meter (thery're cheap, and worth every penny). then start your car. check the votage at idle and off idle (should be close to the same). then turn on EVERYTHING (lights, blower, radio, defrost if you have it, wipers on low, etc.) check voltage again... should not be below 13.4 volts. if it is, check again off idle and notice any change (if voltage goes up to above 13.6, then you're in good shape provided the voltage never drops below 12.8 )
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

if everything is electrically in good shape, and you still lack power at highway speeds, get a new coil (accell super coil).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Hey. I am currently having the same problem with my car. I took it up to autozone and had them test the battery and the alternator and both read good.

So did you figure out what was wrong with your festiva?

Comment

Festivabot, did you test the alt in car as discribed above? AZ doesn;t use this protical and their method won't show if the alt dies under load.

Comment

Ahem.

How about a loose alternator belt? This is one thing that can be revealed by testing it Festyboys way...
                      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

My festy had a bad ground (chassi to engine) and I was having sparatic crappy running, the engine /trans found its own ground via the clutch cable and welded its self internally, next time I pushed the clutch in it snapped the cable..... not a good time!

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
                        1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
                        R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
                        00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
                        03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
                        pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
                        Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
                        Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Working...
                        X