Festiva problems/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva problems/questions

Hi, I'm new at the forums just picked up my first personally owned festiva (grandfather used to have an auto one when I was 16) basically I always wanted a 5 speed festy and finally got one yesterday; It's a 93 5 speed. First off, is the damn clutch on those things really that light and supposed to engage nearly at the end of the pedal travel? Two, the engine will not warm up even after driving on the highway for about 45 minutes it will not even make it a quarter way up the temp scale or an 1/8 at that. I read on the forums about the thermostat being a 1 stage if it was replaced and that it needs a 2 stage, what exactly is the difference? Couldn't find a whole lot of info on the net relating to cars on that subject. Back to the clutch, when shifting particularly from 1-2 4-5 there is a slight thump that I can feel through the tranny and I think the clutch might not fully be releasing. I always try my best to do synchronized shifts and 1-2 is always the hardest one to do and thats where I feel it typically; it also has a little bit of a thump when going from neutral to gear but its only sometimes. One more concern I have is a strange sound coming from the timing belt side of the engine I can't really describe the sound but it's coming from the center to lower section of the engine on that side, maybe a bearing, or could the timing belt be making a "wallow wallow" noise? Anyone got a link to the service manual? The sticky on here has nothing but dead links. Anyway I love this car to death and want it to last so any help and advice I can get from all the great festiva owners of this forum would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys

Welcome to the site.

As far as the clutch, you can look at the cable under the hood and see if it is out of adjustment. New ones are really cheap, easy to replace and will last for years.

The noise coming from the timing belt are, could be belt tensioner or water pump. Both items are fairly easy to replace and are service items anyhow. I'd replace what you can because it is a 17 yr. old car.

Also check you LCA's (lower control arms) they house the ball joint and if it fails it will cause alot more problems.

Hope this helps.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I think the Haynes manual costs about $25 at auto parts stores here in Canada. Mine has saved me a lot of money over the years by diagnosing and doing repairs myself.

A parts store should be able to find the proper thermostat for the car. Sounds like yours is stuck open. The top bolt is easy to get at but you have to feel around for the bottom one behind the distributor and use a wrench instead of a socket.
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by hinesdeal82291 View Post
        First off, is the damn clutch on those things really that light and supposed to engage nearly at the end of the pedal travel?
        yes and no. Your clutch is at the end of it's usable life. It will need replacement soon. But yes, they are that light.

Two, the engine will not warm up even after driving on the highway for about 45 minutes it will not even make it a quarter way up the temp scale or an 1/8 at that. I read on the forums about the thermostat being a 1 stage if it was replaced and that it needs a 2 stage, what exactly is the difference?
        The single stage t-stats work just fine if you drill a steam hole at the top. Yours is definately stuck open.

One more concern I have is a strange sound coming from the timing belt side of the engine I can't really describe the sound but it's coming from the center to lower section of the engine on that side, maybe a bearing, or could the timing belt be making a "wallow wallow" noise?
        Your water pump is on the way out, it sounds. Typical noise for worn pump bearings.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
        X