Aspire ignition switch removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire ignition switch removal

Ok, so long story short, the key broke off inside the switch, and we need to get it out. We took the steering wheel off and the turn signal / wiper assy off and can't find what holds the ignition switch in. Is there an easy way to pull it out like some cars just have a button you push in? Also, would it be easier to try to remove the key, or pulling it out and either replacing it or have a locksmith pull the key? We have tried a drop of super glue on the end of what's left of the key, and it didn't help. The car will still start, it's just that was the only key so we can't get into the hatch or lock the doors. Any help is greatly appreciatied.

1996 aspire 2dr 5 spd.
    Last edited by doylerl; 02-23-2010, 03:22 PM.
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

I don't think the cylinder comes out like on some cars, I think you have to remove the covers on the steering column and remove the whole ignition switch.
    '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by doylerl View Post
      We have tried a drop of super glue on the end of what's left of the key, and it didn't help. The car will still start, it's just that was the only key so we can't get into the hatch or lock the doors. Any help is greatly appreciatied.

1996 aspire 2dr 5 spd.
      Watch it with that super glue. That stuff easily will flow into places you dont want.

I have not taken one these apart , but I would try first. Once you get the switch out there may be access to push/pry the key out.

However if that is your only key, you will still have to go to locksmith. They might be able to copy some or start from scratch.

I dont know about a 1996, though. Might be some anti theft involved.

Comment

Odd as it sounds, bobby pins are good for that.. unfold the bobby pin and remove the plastic caps at the ends of the points. Then insert the bent end in and you should be able to rake along the key and pull it out. If it's not stiff enough, then paper clips usually work well as well.
        Carz:
        '09 Ford F-150
        '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
        '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
        225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
        ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
          I don't think the cylinder comes out like on some cars, I think you have to remove the covers on the steering column and remove the whole ignition switch.
          We had the whole thing apart and could still not find any screw or bolts or anything holding it in. It seems like removing it would be a major PITA.

Originally posted by grey View Post
          Watch it with that super glue. That stuff easily will flow into places you dont want.

I have not taken one these apart , but I would try first. Once you get the switch out there may be access to push/pry the key out.

However if that is your only key, you will still have to go to locksmith. They might be able to copy some or start from scratch.

I dont know about a 1996, though. Might be some anti theft involved.
          As far as anti-theft, I don't think so, because this key was a copy with just the flat metal head on it like a regular key. I wondered about the super glue myself, but the local locksmith shop recommended trying it first. His theory was, if it starts, it won't really matter if the pins get stuck in the position they are in.
          Originally posted by darrenryall View Post
          Odd as it sounds, bobby pins are good for that.. unfold the bobby pin and remove the plastic caps at the ends of the points. Then insert the bent end in and you should be able to rake along the key and pull it out. If it's not stiff enough, then paper clips usually work well as well.
          I never thought about bobby pins being used for such. Back in the day, I picked locks with them, but never removed keys with them. My dad currently had the car out of state right now, but when he gets back I will have to try that.

Thanks for the ideas all. And keep them coming in case my luck happens!
          The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
          89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

It has 4 blind roll pins holding the cylinder in.

The only way to do it, is drill (the pot metal collar area) in front of all 4 roll pins so that you can pull the cylinder out. Leave the roll pins where they are as guides. Then to re assemble put everything back in and carefully drill new holes beside the roll pins(leave a little space) that just engage the cylinder and just smaller than some small finish nails. use finish nails as new pins and cut off extra length.

Do not try to drill out the roll pins you will just break bits. Ask me how I know. If you come up with a method of pulling those pins let me know.

I thought of using a small nail and super glue but you would have to be really careful not to glue the pins in tighter

Eric
            Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
            Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
            Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

A good locksmith will have something called a harpoon pick. He should be able to fish the broken piece of the key out of the ignition in about 15 minutes or so, depending upon how big the piece is. I had this same thing happen in a Geo Metro, it cost $20.00 to get the broken piece out of the ignition and have two new keys made. It was WAY easier than removing/replacing ignition switch, as locksmith did "in-car" repair.

Comment

do NOT drill in front of the roll pins.. drill BEHIND the roll pins (towards the steering shaft), take a bit about the same size or a bit bigger than the pin, and then you can take a sharp pointed tool and GENTLY pry the roll pin up and out.. This saves the roll pin hole so it will hold the lock PROPERLY in place.
                Superglue? NEVER.
                That locksmith should know better..
                IF you broke the key off that far out, it should be a very quick job to grab the broken piece, and extract.
                Its when its behind the first wafer that it can get interesting..
                Without looking in my sources, I would look at the right door handle lock for the key code.

Comment

Working...
                X