radiator fan not switching on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator fan not switching on

cars been overheating very spontaneously and only when idling for too long, can see the temp go up almost all the way to h and dont believe the fan is working at all. I turn it off for a few and then it is OK so i dont know if the fan is working sometimes and not others or what, but if it gets too bad and I just let it keep overheating the radiator does start to smoke and smell pretty strongly of burning coolant im guessing? anyway if anyone has had this or similar problem before and has any suggestions as always its greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    91 red l-

i had the same problem with my neon, so i just unhooked the fan relay switch so the fan was always on and didnt have a problem with it, now im not sure if our cars are the same, but im pretty sure they are, im sure someone else has a better idea tho

Comment

Unplug the thermal switch and see if the fan comes on. It's the little flat blade plug on the front of the motor to the left of the thermostat housing.
      -Greg
      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
      Redneck Engineer
      FOTY - '09
      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

My fan didn't come on at all in uncle fester. Found a whole bunch of corrosion in the connector. Disassembled, cleaned, problem solved.
        The new keeper of Uncle Fester!! 88 5-speed, efi, now with ac!
        1988 LX ~sold~
        1992 Blue GL auto, ac ~sold~
        2008 Nissan altima 3.5sl loaded <lease returned>
        1996 Nissan maxima <sold>
        2002 ford f350 crew cab short bed diesel

Just remember, it could be worse, you could have a fork in your eye!!

Comment

i also had that same issue before changed all the sensors for no reason but i also bought a new fan as well and radiator whole 9 yards
          FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

but yeah carb is my issue right now even tho it will run for 2 minutes rich cause no lines are hooked up ?

Comment

Yeah, check the connector to the cooling fan itself. I had the same problem with corrosion as Sandman.
              186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
              1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
              1992 aqua L (agua)
              1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

My relay went on my white festy and I hooked the fan up to a switch that I made in the cabin and put a fuse on it and ran it straight to the battery.
                89' Maroon and black Festiva LX with a sunroof. :alien:

Comment

Check the fuse in the fuse box on the dash.

Comment

i don't know about you guys do u have a sensor under the radiator that has 2 plug ins i had to replace mine when my fan didn't kick on..
                    Last edited by 1988redfordfestiva; 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X