Carbed distributor replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbed distributor replacement

Well, I finally got a disty for my '89 carbed festy. I am planning on replacing it tomorrow. Is there anything in particular to watch out for when doing this? Also, how do you go about keeping the timing correct? Thanks
    The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
    89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

tip

Just make sure the spark plug wires are hooked up correctly.
    Mark where the rotor is pointing after you take the cap off, then pull the distributor.
    You should be almost right on the money when you put the other one in with the rotor pointing in the same spot. You might have to turn it ever so slightly to get the most power out of it. Good luck.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 02-25-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Is this the module you got from fresh? Or did you go with a new one?
      ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Just make sure the spark plug wires are hooked up correctly.
        Mark where the rotor is pointing after you take the cap off, then pull the distributor.
        You should be almost right on the money when you put the other one in with the rotor pointing in the same spot. You might have to turn it ever so slightly to get the most power out of it. Good luck.
        Thanks for the info. That is exactly the kind of help I needed.

Originally posted by jmye1524 View Post
        Is this the module you got from fresh? Or did you go with a new one?
        This is a whole different disty. I traded some parts to a friend for it. New is just too expensive when you are unemployed. Luckily he let me trade him other parts for it.

Thanks again to fresh for offering one to me. The funds just never came my way.
        The normal is not always normal... MOST is not ALL... And any job can be hard if you don't have the right tools!!!

My Fleet:
        89 L 4spd (Daily Driver(if it isn't broke down)) "Spanky"

Comment

If you take your cap off and remember witch way the rotor is pointing, mark the base somewhere with the head ( or the bolts usually make an impression ) you can't go wrong. The dissy only goes in 180* It's either pointing the right way or the wrong way. Just don't turn the motor any during this process.

.Sorry, I guess I just repeated bravekozak ..........my bad............wasn't paying attention
          Last edited by jmye1524; 02-25-2010, 08:14 PM.
          ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

well make sure u have a good one the main thing i just noticed that broke on mine is that black little box on the side that hooks to the coil i got a used one at the junkyard 3 days ago from a used mazda pick up...
            FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Originally posted by 1988redfordfestiva View Post
              well make sure u have a good one the main thing i just noticed that broke on mine is that black little box on the side that hooks to the coil i got a used one at the junkyard 3 days ago from a used mazda pick up...
              Have you installed it and had it work?

The distributor in a '93 Festiva I had died, so I grabbed one from a Protege that someone conveniently abandoned near my house. Turned out the modules were completely different and my car wouldn't start.

Of course it might be different for the cars with vacuum advance?

-Tim
              White '89L auto - Sold!
              Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by jmye1524 View Post
                The dissy only goes in 180* It's either pointing the right way or the wrong way.
                From what I remember...it only goes in one way. At least the 90's one anyway. I was helping Tony Cash try and figure some stuff out and we actually tried to put the disty in 180 out and it would not go back together at all.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

^^ X2 - IIRC one tab is larger than the other.
                  If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                  X