New BP with lighting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BP with lighting problems

hey, so over the last 2 weeks I have installed a bp into my car, and within that time I put in wiring from a 1993 Festiva (since I have a 1989 FI Festiva). Currently when the headlights turn on the dash lights, the light beside the automatic shifter, as well as the constant glowing red tail lights do not turn on. The headlights themselves do work fine though. Is there a relay or something that I need to change? Thank you for the help!

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Sounds like the harness that goes to the interior. It runs down the drivers side. I know the carbed/efi cars were different. You may need a harness from that '93 also. Also the dash harness is different. Skimsucka just did the same thing.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Sorry I didn't clarify. I changed every wire in the Festiva to a 1993 Wiring harness. It's just wierd how everything that should click on with the headlights does not. Does it sound like a relay? and if so where would it be located/which wires go up to it?

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month

Comment

Did you check the fuses, there is a 10 amp Room Fuse and a 15 amp Tail Fuse.
        '90 LX

Comment

Yep, I checked every fuse, and no luck. In the room the cigarette lighter plug in still works as well as the C.D. player. The taillights also function well, except they do not have that constant glow when the headlights turn on.
          Last edited by timmay89; 02-26-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

My Haynes manual shows a parking lamp relay that goes to the interior lighting system but it shows that 88 and 89 dosn't have that relay, did the wiring harness that you put in have that relay.
            '90 LX

Comment

The wiring harness that I put in was out of a 1993 automatic, so yes it should have that relay, it just might not be working properly. I will try to replace it tomorrow then. Does the parking lamp relay turn on the instrument cluster lights?

Comment

Yeah it goes to all the interior stuff.
                '90 LX

Comment

K, ya that must be it, thanks again!

Comment

The parking lamp relay is behind the pass. side headlight in case you didn't know.

Comment

Ok, so I changed the pass. side parking lamp relay, but no sucess . I changed the multi switches by the steering wheel and the rear tail lights now glow when the headlights are on! So success there, but I still don't know what to do about the interior lights, Anyone have ideas of what else I can check to get some interior lights working?

Comment

Dimmer switch? Could be yours is bad.
                        White '89L auto - Sold!
                        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

ya, that's the one I replaced, I took Mike (sasquatch) with me to make sure the right one was replaced

Comment

Working...
                          X