No announcement yet.

Engine Overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, as far as where to do the work, that's really a personal choice. Where would you feel more comfortable? DON'T drive it 15 miles with a reused head gasket, though.

Its tough to say what a valve job would cost you there. I've found that machine shop costs vary by region. Around me, the costs are pretty damn high. But somewhere that has a lot of heavy industry (oil wells, etc), it may be less expensive due to the volume of work. On a 4 cyl, 8 valve head, I would pay $80 - $100, if I didn't do it myself.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
      Its tough to say what a valve job would cost you there. I've found that machine shop costs vary by region. Around me, the costs are pretty damn high. But somewhere that has a lot of heavy industry (oil wells, etc), it may be less expensive due to the volume of work. On a 4 cyl, 8 valve head, I would pay $80 - $100, if I didn't do it myself.
      What would doing the valve job myself entail? From what I've heard, everybody just says take it to a shop because it can't be done by the average shadetree mechanic.

There are many machine shops around my area; I'll look into them.

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

well, first, you would need to have access to a valve and seat grinder, or Kwik-Way valve and seat cutters, which I do.

If you don't, you're done. Go to a shop.

If you do, then you'll have to grind or cut the valve face at the correct angle. usually 45deg. dress the margin and tip if needed. then grind or cut the seat to the correct angles. Start with the 60deg, then the 30deg, then finish with the 44deg. coat the valve face w/ Prussian Blue, drop in the guide, and check for correct position of face to seat contact, about 1/3 the width of the face from the margin. If its not in the right spot, redress with the 30, 44 and 60 stones/cutters as needed. After cutting, spring seat to retainer hieght needs to measured and corrected with shims, to compensate for tha valve now sitting deeper in the head, allowing more stem to protrude. this is to maintain correct spring pressure on the valve, to ensure proper closing.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
        X