Water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pump

Is it necessary to remove the cam/crank pulleys when changing the water pump? I'm going to be doing mine saturday with a friend of mine, and he claims that the pulleys need to be yanked in order to change the pump. That seems like an awfully large pain in the ass. Is there a way around this, or is it even necessary?
    GT

if im not mistaken you do
    90 L FI..second B3
    90 L Parts car
    Jay

Comment

You may as well replace the timing belt while you're at it!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca
        You may as well replace the timing belt while you're at it!
        Already got one in the trunk. This is the perfect time to change it, because my old one has been oil soaked recently by a bad seal (now fixed). Let's see if I don't break the thing. Any tips when it comes to pulling off the crank pulley?
        GT

Comment

Just take the bolts and screws out, don't round out the screws like somebody did on mine. Your lucky your working on a festiva try to taking a crank pulley off of a 89 Corolla. The pulley or pulleys should come off without a puller. You may have to take the center bolt out to get the pulleys out with you have a/c.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

I used the old accessory belt as a strap wrench, which worked well. the only annoying part was having to remove the splash shield to get to everything
            4-spd 1989 Festiva - carburated baby!

Comment

Working...
            X