No announcement yet.

smell of fuel in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an engine if you need it. Ran good enough to get Tom from St louis to here and ran a 17.6 at the track. Didn't smoke or anything. I even go to Tennessee every summer and could bring it to you.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
      I agree with every bit of this.

You might also check fuel pressure too.

Just wonder if an injector(s) sticking to contribute to this problem?

Charles, the weather is going to be better this week end. Want me to swing by and have a look?
      Mike, if you would like to that would be great. I have another friend that might be swinging by also. Do you still have my number, if not pm me and I will send it to you. I will go ahead and pick up another pvc valve any ways, to make sure that it is good.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
      '12 Ford Focus

Comment

Originally posted by murrillcg View Post
        Mike, if you would like to that would be great. I have another friend that might be swinging by also. Do you still have my number, if not pm me and I will send it to you. I will go ahead and pick up another pvc valve any ways, to make sure that it is good.
        PM sent.

Comment

So I had my festiva towed to the shop yesterday to have them try and figure out why I was having the problems I am. The out come was I paid $100.00 to be told what I already knew and that they didn't know why it was running rich, and that thier computer wouldn't connect to the Festiva. So they proceded to tell me that I needed to either rebuild the engine or put a new engine in. They then proceded to tell me that they could get me a used engine with less miles for $998.00, plus another $1000 to pull mine and put that one in. Oh and they would give me a thirty day warrenty also.
          Geez, do they throw in a complimentary tube of lube, or just bone you dry?? A grand for an engine they are probably going to get out of a junkyard for 400 max seems a bit steep, and another grand to install??

I sent it the dealership for them to check and set the timing and also to find out why there was the smell of fuel in the oil, and they told me the best thing to do was to replace the engine. I am not sold on replacing the engine quite yet, but don't want to put to much into this one to find out that I need to rebuild it anyways. I have a friend that will help to check the timing and rebuild if needed, but he is in a class for the next two weeks.
          Couple of dumb questions for you. Other than the fuel smell under the VC, how does the car run? Did it run badly, and that's why you got into it, or was it just time to change the gasket? Did they actually check the timing, or just declare without doing anything that you needed a new engine?

If your timing was off, you could be getting incomplete detonation, which (if combined with worn seals) could push a bit of unburnt fuel to the top. Before I would drop 2 grand on the motor swap, I'd investigate the running rich issue a bit more. Since, as you say, it's not your dd at this point. I'm sure you've checked it, but how's your air filter, O2 sensor, etc. A partially blocked cat can also produce running rich symptoms.

Not trying to throw a whole bunch of stuff at you, just wondering if the car actually runs badly, or if you might be better off to slow down and take a little time with it before you go the swap route. Also sure, if needed, that we can find you a good running engine for a lot less than the dealer will.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
          1989 L - 247K miles Slick
          1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
          Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McKown View Post
            Just wonder if an injector(s) sticking to contribute to this problem?

+1

Yup! I wondered about this too! Maybe some crud in the pintle causing it to atomize improperly or leak raw fuel.
            Last edited by Zanzer; 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM.
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by batstiva View Post
              Geez, do they throw in a complimentary tube of lube, or just bone you dry?? A grand for an engine they are probably going to get out of a junkyard for 400 max seems a bit steep, and another grand to install??

Couple of dumb questions for you. Other than the fuel smell under the VC, how does the car run? Did it run badly, and that's why you got into it, or was it just time to change the gasket? Did they actually check the timing, or just declare without doing anything that you needed a new engine?

If your timing was off, you could be getting incomplete detonation, which (if combined with worn seals) could push a bit of unburnt fuel to the top. Before I would drop 2 grand on the motor swap, I'd investigate the running rich issue a bit more. Since, as you say, it's not your dd at this point. I'm sure you've checked it, but how's your air filter, O2 sensor, etc. A partially blocked cat can also produce running rich symptoms.

Not trying to throw a whole bunch of stuff at you, just wondering if the car actually runs badly, or if you might be better off to slow down and take a little time with it before you go the swap route. Also sure, if needed, that we can find you a good running engine for a lot less than the dealer will.

Batstiva, I am almost positive the timing is off, and will confirm it this weekend. The air filter is good, not sure on the O2 sensor, but I put a new exhaust (had it FART CANNED) on it back in september, but don't think the O2 sensor was changed. It has been running ruff, and that's how i ran across the fuel smell. Before I go and spend 2 grand at some dealer, I will do it myself (with help of friends, of course). I work with some pretty mechanically inclined people unlike myself.

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                I have an engine if you need it. Ran good enough to get Tom from St louis to here and ran a 17.6 at the track. Didn't smoke or anything. I even go to Tennessee every summer and could bring it to you.
                Thanks Greg, I might take you up on that offer, let me see if I can get it figured out this weekend, and if needed I will be down in Florida ( Panama City, and/or Chiefland ) sometime in late May, and might be able to pick it up from you. Unless you make a tip this way before the end of April.

'12 Ford Focus

Comment

Working...
                X