cv axles knocking-need replace? or can i be cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv axles knocking-need replace? or can i be cheap

so my axles are clickin.knocking on turns and it is kind of annoying, from what i gather this may be due to the boots getting dirt and grim in the axles? anyway was wondering if there is any quick fix to remedy this or if maybe I can just get new boots 4 now with new grease? thanks
    91 red l-

sorry to say but they need replaced or they will fail and that could be serious! i'm an auto tech by trade! replacement is the only option in my opinion!
    IF ONE FESTI IS GOOD THEN TWO IS BETTER!

93 L TEAL ( this winter new paint) full 2.25" exaust w/flowmaster 2 chamber! all black interoir! coil overs and aspire swap in the wings and 14" jetta mk3 alloy wheels! bp+t on the way!

Comment

Yep, they are'nt that expensive. Buy new ones though, not rebuilt.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

What's the best brand of axles? Mine starting clicking on turns a few days ago.
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

O'reillys or other McAutoparts store, complete halfshaft, $60-70, lifetime guaranteed.
          Last edited by Levitan; 03-13-2010, 10:17 AM.
          ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
          #2 .....Cheesehead
          #3 '91 White - Donor Car
          #4 .....Montana Project
          SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
          Bought her back for $450
          Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

Yeah not a lot of "brands" to choose from. Lifetime guarantees are meaningless if you have to redo the job several times because of faulty axles. Replace your seals too while you are at it.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Fresh is referring to the outer seals on the transaxle. Word of warning: On a manual festy transaxle, the seals are unique to each side (different part numbers).

Scott
              Famous Last Words: "How hard can it be?"

Comment

i have had a ripped boot/clicking axel for about 6 months now, i just pack it with grease every month through the hole in the boot, I'm changing it next month though LOL

Comment

Originally posted by funky technician View Post
                  i have had a ripped boot/clicking axel for about 6 months now, i just pack it with grease every month through the hole in the boot, I'm changing it next month though LOL
                  Good idea. I have had the experience of seeing a friend of mine (a pizza driver at the time) whose cv fell apart. Not pretty. Luckily it happened to him in the parking lot, not while driving. There was a big bang and the whole wheel just sorta flopped over to the side. Would have been disastrous at any sort of speed.

So the upshot of all this is, DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR OR OTHER'S SAFETY!
                  If the cv knocks, replace it asap! It only takes a 30mm socket, pickle fork and about two hours.
                  John

91L 5-speed, RIP
                  89L 4-speed, teal/white
                  http://johnriederer.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X