25 mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 mpg

93 Auto. Was getting 33 in town, highway ac no ac. Took it on a road trip. Ran it hard. I.E. floored up mountains. Started getting 25 mpg. At that same time developed a slight miss - slight rough idle. No loss of power. New in the past 5000 miles: oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor button.

So is this the O2 sensor? Maf? How do I test those things? Something else?
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

if its missing wouldnt that be a sign of bad plugs?? but i see you have recently changed them.....hhhmmm

Comment

Still could be plugs that are bad. Also could be a plug wire has developed a break. Intermitten contact could cause a skip.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Pull the disty cap, check for corrosion. Clean off if found.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by 92festie View Post
          if its missing wouldnt that be a sign of bad plugs?? but i see you have recently changed them.....hhhmmm
          Ive had brand new plugs that were bad. Autos just dont do so well. May not be a problem at all. Ive had similar MPG in mine before. Depends on the factors. Id say hard mountain driving would do it.
          Last edited by freshtiva; 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I bet I get 25ish sometimes.. during spirited driving on a hilly/curvy road..
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

FWIW,I just finished towing another Festiva with an auto Festiva got 21 to 25 MPG between St Louis and Wheeling, WV.
              Then drove it 400 miles from the east coast to Wheeling, WV and averaged 34 MPG.
              When I drove 25horseplays favorite Festiva from St Louis to Wheeling I got 37 MPG.
              All of this was at 55 to 60 MPH max.
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

No it went from always getting 33 no matter the condition to always getting 25 no matter the conditions. I was 4000 miles in at 33. Now I'm 4 tanks in to getting 25.

I will check the plugs and dist cap even though they are new.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Just saying it was a hard defined change. Now I'm back to same conditions that used to yield 33 and I'm still getting 25.

Comment

It could be a bad coolant temp sensor, making it run richer. The 02 sensor wont have too much effect on fuel trim, but if shorted will ask for full rich, compounding the problem. You can try unplugging (or replace if you like) the 02 sensor for a tank and see what you get.
                    I have a wideband meter in my car and it actually runs richer all the time with it plugged in, (known good sensor). It does a very good job keeping afr's between 14.5 and 14.8 when cruising, idle, and light accel. With it unplugged I'm getting mid-high 15's and sometimes 16 cruising and 16 (as lean as meter will read) at idle, and as long as its not misfiring thats a good thing- saves fuel.

Comment

I've heard that some places, like discount stores, might be getting spark plugs that are "seconds", not the best quality. So I always buy mine from a McParts store.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If it's missing, BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE, no matter when you last changed them, replace the plugs. Recommend NGK V-Power, but curious what brand you have been using. Bosch by any chance?

John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA
                        John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Update. NGK is what I use. I pulled them they were all good. So plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button, air filter, oil and filter, fuel filter all new and good. Today I'm borrowing a whole air box. I will run a tank out and check the mpg after that. I also may borrow an O2 sensor if that doesn't fix it. I still have an intermittent rough idle. I have all my power. No smoking.

Comment

Im working on the same thing right now. and seem to be at the same point.

-Scott
                            Aqua 93 L
                            Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                            White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I couldn't get the air box today. I did get a bottle of fuel injector cleaner after my buddy Jack told me to today for the fourth time. Will report back.

Leapin, is yours an auto?

Comment

Working...
                              X