Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I came really close to putting a socket sized hole in my crankcase...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lmao^^^ hahahahahahahaha

Comment

you know now that you mention it the rod from the booster did make me quesion if it was going to reach ... so what does this mean

Comment

It means you should make some measurements to decide if it is long enough to move the piston when the pedal is depressed.

Now, the rod with the pedal in the released position should not actually touch the piston recessed into the master cylinder, but it should be pretty close to touching it. Haynes manual says, "Power brake booster pushrod clearance" with no vacuum in booster should be "0.016 to 0.024 inches."

First make some measurements to see if the length is coming close to the piston without actually touching it. Then with the master cylinder attached to the booster but without the lines attached. Pour fluid into the reservoir and press the pedal to see if doing so causes the fluid to be pushed out of the holes where the lines are attached.

As I said before this is not a common problem. It would be very rare to find that your rod was so short that it would not reach the piston at some point in the downward movement of the pedal. I would even bet that most mechanics would not bother even measuring the pushrod and just assume if it looks right that it is right. But since it looks short to you, measure it and adjust the pushrod to the above specification.

Checking the pushrod length and correctly setting it is a good thing to do, but my abiding sense is that the problem you have is related to your not having adequately bleed the lines at the wheels. Of course, something else I failed to mention before, is definitely within the realm of possibility.

I have heard some pretty amazing stories of new parts which did not work properly, right out of the box. Unfortunately, the way you usually discover that is by installing the part to find that it doesn't work. I would imagine if you are concerned about the quality of the parts you buy, you will ask who makes the part you are thinking about buying and do some research on that company and its version of the part to see how many people have had problems with it. Also, as much as I hate to say it, I have the feeling that the cheapest parts are seldom, if ever, the ones of highest quality.

Some sources of parts have a better reputation than others just as do manufacturers. For instance, my impression is that NAPA parts are not the cheapest but that they exercise some quality evaluation in deciding what parts they will stock. Perhaps because they to a large extent cater to professional mechanics. Still that doesn't stop me from buying things at AutoZone with their frequent "life time warranties." They are liberal in honoring those warranties to the point that some people take advantage to them.

When all is said and done, I usually try and research the maker of the part I am considering buying. For instance I have read good things on the Internet about Wix filters. Add to that the fact that NAPA Gold filters I understand (Just ask the salesman to be sure. They'll tell you.) are made by Wix. So when I recently replaced my fuel filter I bought a Wix filter.

In the end this is a personal decision that you have to make based on how much money you have to spend and how much you value and respect the service you get from your Festiva. Mine has served me incredibly well over 16 years and 120,000 miles. I can afford Mobile 1 oil so I reward my car with it. My festiva seems to like it, and I know it makes me feel better.

John Gunn
        Coronado, CA
        Last edited by JohnGunn; 03-20-2010, 03:52 AM.
        John Gunn
        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

A couple of things to try.

A test first.

Pump your brakes with the engine off. goes close to floor.

with engine running pump brakes. Do they feel better? Not as close to from floor? then booster is working.

Take your master cyl. back. Go to Napa And buy their best master cyl with fluid resavor. I learned this from experience. Then After you think youve bleed the breaks enought do it two or three times more!

Good luck

David

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
            Of course, if a line is ruptured that would keep the system from building pressure, but it would make a mess that would be hard to miss. And the level of fluid in the reservoir would drop noticeably.

John Gunn
            Coronado, CA
            Right, I was thinking it would help to know if the fluid is dropping for that reason. Also....

A few years back, on another car, I spent about three hours finding a problem like this. Since a rear wheel cylinder tends spew fluid, I was missing the tiny leak there, instead I was looking for a tiny leak EVERYWHERE else! Lesson learned....

Still, that small leak caused the same type of problem. Also, he might not be looking for a leak elsewhere....
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

JohnGunn wrote:

"I have heard some pretty amazing stories of new parts which did not work properly, right out of the box."

When I was prepping my B6 before the swap into Luxstiva, I found that the water pump I'd bought from Autozone had a hairline crack in the housing. That would've been a big NO GO after performing my first engine swap!

Also, an alternator I bought from a local company that rebuilds them turned out to be from some other car. Definitely NOT a Festiva or Aspire. The connections were totally different.

So be aware! And beware!

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                JohnGunn wrote:

"I have heard some pretty amazing stories of new parts which did not work properly, right out of the box."

When I was prepping my B6 before the swap into Luxstiva, I found that the water pump I'd bought from Autozone had a hairline crack in the housing. That would've been a big NO GO after performing my first engine swap!

Also, an alternator I bought from a local company that rebuilds them turned out to be from some other car. Definitely NOT a Festiva or Aspire. The connections were totally different.

So be aware! And beware!

Karl
                Try this one on for size!

A couple of us ar work have made friends at a local "mcparts" store. The other night when he was in there, one of them opened a box that contained a small piece that he needed, irreplaceable to the job being done, handed it to him, and put the box back on the shelf, saying "I think we will let someone else have a bad day!"

Dude....
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

AllDay, any luck with any of this?
                  Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

We got an AutoZone crate motor one time that didn't have any cam bearings in it

Good thing I caught it before I installed it. That was a fun call to make to the store manager. LOL :mrgreen:
                    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

I think we should make a thread for funniest/craziest stories about bad, wrong, missing parts, etc and post in that?? (because these are hilarious/awesome/interesting and I'd love to hear more!!)

IDK if I'd consider the above numerous posts "thread jacking" because the first post does kind of relate but things are getting super off-topic...sorry if I'm throwing sticks in anyone's bike spokes...haha
                      Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
                        Then After you think youve bleed the breaks enought do it two or three times more!
                        Good advice. I wish I had been the first to recommend it.

John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA
                        John Gunn
                        Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                        Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                        X